Thread: What to do with hundreds of plastic forks and spoons??

What to do with hundreds of plastic forks and spoons??

Over the years, I've kept all the plastic silverware that I came in contact with. Now I have more than I know what to do with (probably hundreds). Has anyone ever recycled those? I could give them away to the Helping Center in our town, but they'd just end up in the earth eventually. Any ideas?
    And please don't suggest I make bird houses out of them.

In my town all plastics (with the exception of plastic bags) can be tossed in recycling. What I would do here would be to put them all in a clear plastic bag so contents are easily seen, then toss them into the bin. This may not be true for all recycling programs however. I would suggest you call whoever recycles in your area and ask them.

I know you were asking about recycling, but I just donated a large box of plastic ware to our local men's shelter/rescue mission. I think that the type of plastic used for forks, knives and spoons is not typically recylable in most areas.

However, ehow.com has some ideas:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7794530_recy...ons-forks.html

Thanks Gina. I just didn't think they would take them.......but I'll call. That would be great if they did.
    Thanks!

Thanks Lainey. I might do that if I can't recycle them. But I know they probably just throw them out after one use, right? If so, I might hold onto them until they can be recycled somewhere.

Mrs-M
    I'm with Lainey, my suggestion hinged on donating them to a local church meal drop-in centre. Now that warmer weather is in the forecast I tend to think more people dropping by for a meal may feel more compelled to take it with them (outside).

Whatever you do CathyA I know it will be the right choice.

I could give them away to the Helping Center in our town, but they'd just end up in the earth eventually. Any ideas?
    While you could think of recycling them, think of it this way: the Helping Center or other charity is going to use a certain number of plastic untensils whether you either recycle or donate yours. And they will be tossed. By donating, you will be replacing that amount of new plasticware from being made, purchased, distributed, and tossed anyway. So in the end, donating would be a more green solution.

If they are clean and useable, why not donate and make a crafts out of them. I have seen them dipped in chocolate,tied with a ribbon as table favours for senior groups, they can be dressed and faces painted for little people to enjoy. Google craft with plastic spoons and see all that is possible.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I agree with Gina....even if a homeless shelter or soup kitchen uses, then tosses them, it will still save an equal number that would have been used. Better than nothing.

Ditto Gina & loosechickens.

Thread Information