Thread: Dress to De-stress

Dress to De-stress

I just read this article http://blog.seattlepi.com/nealstarkm...n-for-seattle/ in the local Post-Intelligencer. It seems Seattle is a leader in dressing for comfort. My experience of the PNW in general is that it's refreshingly free of the fakery and jockeying for position that goes on elsewhere. The following paragraph sums it up:

"This isn’t exactly reverse snobbery; clearly, some people are more emotionally comfortable when they’re physically uncomfortable. If those folks want to spend their money on haute couture clothing and jewelry, and if they want to spend their lives trying to impress others with that clothing and jewelry, then they should continue to be free to do so. Besides, I’m sure all that commerce benefits the economy. Somehow. Somewhere. And I’m not suggesting we all donate our fancy clothes to charities and henceforth sport mainly t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. Actually, strike that; the more I think about it, that’s really not a bad idea. But let’s find a nice medium. It wouldn’t hurt others to follow Seattle’s lead and choose to play down the appearance game just a tad and opt for the comfort game just a bit more."

MamaM
    I would so agree. I was stationed up there for 3 years and it was very relaxing, even with all that coffee.

I agree that we are more relaxed. Was very into dressing back in the 80's when I worked in DT Portland. With a job change to suburbia and a much much much more relaxed group of people, the clothes just did not fit in. I dress for comfort now because through the years I have also put on a little weight and what still attracts me in my mind would not look good on me even if I had a place to wear it. I'll go for jeans and tennis shoes but I can not get over people wearing shorts and flip flops in the dead of winter or going out wearing PJ bottoms for pants with slippers. Maybe the gray days make it seem like it isn't worth the effort. You will have to pry my yoga pants from my cold dead fingers.

Austin used to be much the same. But since the massive influx of folks from other parts (mostly California) the past few years, the ability to step out in your jeans and T-shirt doesn't feel quite so acceptable. Though it is still a casual city, it seems like people are much more concerned with their appearance than in the past.

In my experience the western U.S. is much more casual than the midwest, which is slightly more casual than the east coast.

I definitely appreciate living in a perpetually casual place. Sure, people who live and work in San Francisco (just called "the city" here) are more into fashion and have different standards. But those of us out in the burbs can dress casually without pretension to our hearts' content. I cannot imagine living in a place where I was judged for not dressing fashionably enough. How exhausting that sounds!

Kara

It all depends on where you live on the East Coast.

Boston tends to be a bit more dressed up. But in the areas that are heavily populated by students, things get very, very casual.

In the Washington, DC area, there are a lot of people who dress up all the time. I suspect their pajamas are starched.

I live in a city in New Hampshire. Jeans, flannel shirts over T shirts, fleece, more fleece, and boots when you aren't at work. Slightly dressier for work.

I don't mind people wearing comfortable clothes. But I do mind when people are out and about at work and just look sloppy. You can be perfectly comfortable and still look neat and tidy. Pajama pants are not the only comfortable pants in the world.

And am I the only one who doesn't find jeans to be the most comfortable pants ever? I find chino/khaki pants to be much more comfortable and, incidently, more flattering. But people accuse me of being "dressed up" when I wear them, even though to me they are the "jeans" of my wardrobe.

MamaM
    Jeans for me must be well loved and by then, they usually have a hole in the knee and frayed hems..THAT is when they are comfortable. : )

I bought a pair of straight leg navy blue pants from Old Navy a few years ago. Sort of a chino idea and I love them too but again, they are well loved. : )

I have lived all over the country due to being in the military yet my style has never changed- jeans/shorts/ flip flops/cowgirl boots/tank top/button down in some sort of mix at all times.

When I started working, I was completely confused because I had always worn uniforms. Now I have worked out something like a sheath dress with kitten heels or ballet flats, or a pencil skirt with a button down shirt, a little jacket or sweater if needed.

I am so predictable but I don't mind.

Thread Information