Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns on Campus

Oh good. This is exactly what we need. Young, sleep deprived people who are under incredible stress, with raging hormones. Let's add guns to the mix. We have the alcohol. Now if only we can get them to drive in a not-all-that-experienced way, we'd have the trifecta!
    Gee, I sure hope they carry into the local bars so they can 'protect' themselves there.
    And how wonderfully safe you know your daughter will be when she's out with this guy!

So it would appear that many are not so much against this because of location, but because of age (please correct me if i'm wrong). That makes me wonder, at what point should a person be considered an adult with all the attendant rights, duties and obligations associated with that distinction?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

As someone who has taught at the college level I think allowing students to carry guns is about the most stupid thing I've ever heard. I don't know how this will play out, and we will see, but my guess would be far more deaths resulting from this than lives saved in 'self defense' circumstances.

And of course there is the intimidation factor that does not require any violence what so ever. How many instructors will give a kid an undeserved higher mark simply because they have shown themselves to have an aggressive nature. They don't even have to cross any legal lines to strike fear.

I once had a kid in class that was so high on drugs I had to call security to get him out. Oh goody if he had been packing a gun... Or even better if another student had just shot him dead on the spot for his highly erratic behavior....

If I were teaching in Texas now, the first thing I would do -after arming myself- would be to apply for jobs in other states.

Approximately 30 years of statistical analysis of shooting events in right to carry states show those concerns to be overblown if not paranoid.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

There just doesn't ever seem to be any in-between or compromise on this subject. Seems like people who own guns believe that everyone/anyone should be able to carry a gun. I feel like the people who have guns feel so totally defensive about their own rights, and sometimes can't see clearly. What I'm trying to say is, for those of you who carry guns, can't you understand that there are many people out there who might "qualify" to carry a gun, but who can do major damage with it? Is assuming that everyone out there has your gun safety in mind, your responsibility, your common sense etc., a dangerous position to take?

There's a vote going on soon in the city near here as to whether people should be able to carry a gun into the big athletic stadium here.......where the Super Bowl will be next year. Great.......alcohol, guns, excitement, mania, anger at bad calls, fights.......all in one place.

No one has ever been shot in an athletic venue here that I know of........but you can believe that will change if anyone can bring a gun in.
    But back to the guns on campus. Like I've said before, our country has become so concerned with individual rights, that its ignoring the good of the whole. Every year, some fraternity gets shut down at 2 of the big colleges in this state because of the trouble with hazing, alcohol, craziness. And you want guns in the equation now??
    I can only shake my head in disbelief and fright.

Without individual rights, who determines what is good for the collective?

That's a good question Alan. I don't have the answer. But it seems that that question gets harder and harder to answer, the more people we have and the more rights they get that might bring harm to others.
    If people believe in the right to bear arms because the constitution says so.....then I think they should just carry muskets and small canons.
    When this "right" was written, I'm sure they had absolutely no clue that it would turn into what's going on today.
    It always baffles me that we stick so vehemently to a set of rights that was written so long ago, in a totally different world.

It occurs to me that there are rights which are subject to legislation and rights which are not. I believe the individual right to be secure in your person and possessions and to defend yourself against aggressors falls into the latter category.

Why anyone would want to legislate away that right from responsible adults is a mystery to me.

But that's just it Alan.......there are so many people out there who aren't "responsible adults". I don't know how or where to draw the line.
    I just wish we could defend ourselves on a more equal basis with each other that wouldn't lead to immediate death.

I wanted to add that I live near a city and every single day, someone is shot dead. Someone is robbed, someone is carjacked. Its a constant thing. I know many of these people aren't carrying a permitted gun, but some are.
    Letting everyone have a gun seems to be like wanting every nation to have nuclear arms, just so we're all able to defend ourselves equally. Some nations are responsible, some are not.

Thread Information