Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When I die..............

Cremation is my option - mainly because of expense and a space thing. A simple pine box is also appealing.
    The old fashion kind.

I know a family locally that it has always been their family tradition to build a casket for their family members.
    I hate to see families spend so much on funeral expenses.

I plan to be cremated too and have my ashes scattered in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    Well, I think you can still be buried in a plain pine box, and that would eventually rot and leak and 'go away' so to speak.
    The Amish in this area are not embalmed and buried in a plain wood box.

Of all the things I have to think about and plan for, I leave that decision to my husband. It really doesn't matter to me what happens to my body after my demise so whatever he decides will be fine with me. I did plan that if I survive my husband then my personal representative will decide. In the end, the decision is really up to others who can do as we wish or as they wish.

I'll have to check up on the laws. I thought it was illegal to be buried "whole" without cremation.

Cremation here, too. Mainly because I saw how simple it was for everyone when my Dad died. He had it all taken care of in advance. Within an hour or so of his death the guys from the crematorium came to pick up his body and it was over. That was a real blessing for my Mom. As for what happens then, I really couldn't care less if DW tells them to just send the ashes out with the trash. If she goes first I've promised to spread her ashes on the ocean...in Tahiti.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I do like the idea of the funeral pyre. I also like the way Ed Abbey went. His friends put him in his favorite sleeping bag, packed it in ice in a pickup truck bed and spirited his remains off to a secret burial location in the desert.

To be honest, as illogical as it seems, I'd like to be put to rest in my family plot near my parents and other relatives and a traditional burial is fine with me. Of all the alternatives, from an environmental standpoint in the big scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter one way or another.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

My brother, a hobby geneaologist, is always after family members to be sure and specify to have remains near other family members. Drives him nuts to look all over the place for "lost" family members.
    I would like to be wrapped in a cotton sheet or cloth and placed in the ground in a tiny high mountain cemetery. Family would have to work to get there to pay their respects but they would enjoy the scenery en route and I would finally be where I want to be.

I always joke that I want to die on my way BACK from a vacation. It saddens me to think a loved one would find me. I want to be cremated and as little fuss as possible. I request the money saved from having a lavish funeral be spent on the two people who mean the most to me. I request they go on a fantastic trip of their dreams in memory of me!

Interesting that this thread is in Gardening and Farming LOL.

I put it in this area because my point was the poem about being put into the compost. I thought the poem was funny and thought I'd share it.
    Then everyone started talking about how they would like to be buried.

DW and I both belong to a cremation society. At the time of need, a nonprofit organization fires up the jets for cremation and ships the ashes.

Thread Information