Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Last Person on Earth to get a SmartPhone - what are your likes/dislikes

We go through iWireless, which does pay-as-you-go cell plans, and they sell their phones at Kroger stores - or, in our case Smith's.

It's not as good a deal as it should be because you have to refill your time every three months, even if you don't use your time. The bill for our cell phone use last year was just shy of $300 for two phones. That feels like a ripoff for cell phone use. We only use ours a couple of times a month, but still, it's better than an iPhone plan.

Our phones are not particularly smart. They're flip phones that aren't even offered by the company anymore. Because my daughter lost my wife's at a track meet, I've ordered two of their Sanyo Taho phones. They're not here yet.

I'm tempted by Republic Wireless's deal. They offer a middle-of-the-road Android smart phone for around $250, but then they charge $19 a month for unlimited text, talk, and data. They try to keep their costs down by making the calls over wireless internet when it's available.

But honestly, we have iPod Touches for smart phone type stuff. And I don't even use that very often. And I use the cell phone even less. But if I spontaneously felt like jumping on the smart phone bandwagon some day, I would probably go with Republic Wireless. It's hard to beat $19 a month in that arena.

Edited to add: Just in case anyone wants to look into what I'm talking about, iWireless's website is here: http://iwirelesshome.com and Republic Wireless is here: http://www.republicwireless.com

I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback on this question. I am learning a lot. My purchase is still a few months away and this has been very helpful!!!

We still don't think we're clever enough yet for smart phones!

I have been resisting getting a smartphone too but I caved yesterday and ordered one. I didn't want a big giant one or anything too fancy so I went for the Samsung Galaxy Fame: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...s6810-5279.php

It will only cost £3 more per month than my current plan, which isn't bad. My main motivation for getting one is being able to receive and respond (more or less) instantaneously to emails regarding potential translation work. I have missed out on at least two jobs in the last couple weeks because I didn't see the email in time.

I hope I don't end up glued to it like so many other people

I'm tempted by Republic Wireless's deal. They offer a middle-of-the-road Android smart phone for around $250, but then they charge $19 a month for unlimited text, talk, and data. They try to keep their costs down by making the calls over wireless internet when it's available.
    Good deal. Maybe if i take a class in android development The tech classes I usually take are much more boring and big biz than that though, and much more targeted, but it's not actually helping me much either (I miss working for small companies and start ups but it's not the year 2000 anymore either). And the cell phone I have is dumb as bricks and so therefore cheaper than that (like $10 a month).
    Trees don't grow on money

We use Ting as a carrier (Sprint network) and have been very happy with their pricing and service. For now they do not support i-phones, but we're not Apple folks anyway. We were able to bring all our own devices (BYOD) when we switched because we were with Spring before and Ting uses the Sprint network. Our previous bills with Sprint were averaging $280/month (5 lines, talk, text, data). The first 3 months with Ting have averaged about $85. There is one less line on the current plan than before because we told married DD that if they could buy a house and a new car she could pay for her own phone. Now if we could just get her off our insurance....
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Gregg, Did you have to cancel your Sprint plan and deactivate your phone before having Ting activate the same phone number?

Smart? phone!?!

I was forced, by the phone company, into a cell phone. Since I used PAY phones for my job (I do running/errands/pickups for work) I would be able to call them, when they weren't completely sure, or had options they needed to decide between. I like some of the idea of Android (Linux, hackable/cutomizable), but they have horrible battery life and all I do is make calls.

I have NEVER texted, nor do I want to. I canceled my home phone (50% taxes, two months at around $30 after taxes, cost more then my phone costs a year), and saved quite a bit. Most of the people I call, are LUDDITES, several, don't own, or know how to use a computer (some of the ones who do own one, don't know how to use one). I use an old Nokia, candybar style phone, where I get about a week on a charge. For my next phone, I am thinking I might go with a Jitterbug, and use it on my (T mobile) network (prepaid and my use costs me around $56 a year).
    If your wanting one, due to work, wait until they provide it and pay the bill, IMHO. If it is for work purposes (a leash) you shouldn't be paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Hehe! I'm also the only person in the world who has never sent a text!
    Nope, I'm older so can claim text-free for longer than you

Thread Information