Thread: I can't figure out how to hook up my DVD player

I can't figure out how to hook up my DVD player

I moved recently and when I had my cable installed, I hadn't unpacked my DVD player. Now I'm trying to figure out how to hook it up and I haven't had much luck. I feel like an idiot!! Can anyone explain it to me?????

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Do you have the manual for the DVD player? If not, check the manufacturer's website to see if it is available on line. The manual should have instructions on how to hook the DVD player up to your TV. The manual for your TV should also have instructions on connecting DVD players.

You should be able to hook the DVD player up to the TV without connecting the cable box. Unless you have a DVR and want to record TV shows, in which case you need to hook the cable up to the DVR and then the DVR to the TV.

The link Alan gave you is really good if you are having trouble figuring out what kind of cable you need to connect the DVD player to the TV. Basically, you need to find the audio/video "out" sockets on the DVD player and connect them with the correct kind of cable to the audio/video "input" sockets on the TV. And plug the DVD player into an electrical outlet (not that I've ever forgotten to do that last little step and spent an hour trouble shooting a DVR whose only problem was that it wasn't getting any electriclty . . .).

Many thanks. I had no problem hooking it up to the tv before I had cable but now I can't seem to figure it out with the cable box.

No manual? I got a new DVD player last week and the cable hook up was yellow to yellow, white to white and red to red. It also depends on what you are hooking it into, the cable/satellite unit, tv or receiver. Don't feel like an idiot - the last time I re-did the entire entertainment system it was a nightmare. I've done this many times before even tagging the cables but still got it all messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Demrbee View Post
    Many thanks. I had no problem hooking it up to the tv before I had cable but now I can't seem to figure it out with the cable box.
    Demrbee, if the DVD player is just a player and not a recorder, you don't have to hook it up to the cable box. It can be hooked up to the TV independently of the cable box, unless you have a very old TV. Get the manual for the TV. If you don't have the paper copy, go to the manufacturer's website and search for manuals. You will most likely need the model number of the TV set, which should be somewhere on the TV itself.

The manual will have a diagram of the back of the TV set with all the input and output sockets labeled. There should even be diagrams showing you how to connect the DVD player and cable box to the TV set. If you need a cable to connect the DVD player to the TV, the link that Alan posted should help.

Thread Information