Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the "and then?" game!

Junior Member iamdavidspersonaleconomy's Avatar

Introducing the "and then?" game!

Hello YMYLers,
    I regularly read the Mr. Money Mustache blog which I learned about from this forum. The newest MMM post (MMM: The Man Who Thought Early Retirement Sucked) provides a wonderful topic of conversation.

This article introduces the “and then” game. In this game you think about what your goal or dream is. Got it? Now ask yourself, “and then?”

My dream is being financially independent, so I no longer need to work as an accountant. AND THEN… I would love to build a non-profit to help people. Something that involves teaching, coaching, and public speaking.

What is yours?
    Now, how can you do that is some way NOW?

For me, I get to do it in the recovery groups I am a member of, I get to speak in groups, mentor others, and help people.

Your turn!
    Last edited by iamdavidspersonaleconomy; 3-23-13 at 7:04pm. Reason: Grammar Hammer.

Love these kinds of threads!

I wanted to become a dental hygienist and then
    have my own practice and then
    cause change to increase access to preventive oral care and then
    provide care to older adults in residential settings and then
    retired and then
    started a Friends of the Library group and then
    got a charitable status which then made FOL donations tax friendly.

I stepped down from the FOL to encourage new blood and then
    was able to get involved in the local horticultural society which needs some fresh ideas and approaches and then
    found out other new people had joined for the same reason so can support their efforts.
    Looking forward to others' input.

I tried the link and it froze--maybe there are a lot of people finding this article interesting, too. But, I did find an article on Huffington Post that has photos of his house: Wow! I have to say he's pretty inspiring. If you think living "mustachian" has to be all about sacrifice, I'll take the sacrifice of living in his house.

ETA: Got on the site, and read the article, which was great.

As for me, I'm currently living my "and then.." It started when I quit my corporate job and did the same work on my own terms, working far less hours for equal compensation, freeing me up to work on stuff I enjoy, which includes starting a side business and developing my interest and knowledge of permaculture.

I am not financially independent, and while I've kicked off $186,000 worth of debt 3-1/2 years I still have one big chunk to go. But that hasn't stopped me from doing what I feel pulled to do.
    Last edited by catherine; 3-24-13 at 2:21pm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yea I was thinking that instead of trying to make something I care about a living (haha, good luck with that indeed), I should just try to do the few things I care about in my free time of which I still have some (since nothing I care about has anything to do with money anyway). And that maybe that would suffice to get me all the purpose I need and I'd stop looking for it in all the wrong places (iow at a j.o.b.). What do I care about? Utopian projects. I've fantasized about leading up a cohousing project for instance just to name an example talked about recently (yes I know perfectly well most fantasies are just that, a way to amuse myself, still some may catch). What else do I care about: contributing what I can, oh and overthinking things and stuffing my head with useless information.
    Trees don't grow on money

I would like to retire and THEN spend every waking moment outside in the garden. I would extend that to volunteering within the community to share and teach others about the importance of nature in our lives.

I am thinking hard about this one, and really shouldn't have to be. Hmmm.

I enjoyed the article as well.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Pinkytoe: I always thought I might like to join a Master Gardener's program when/if I retire. That sounds like something you might like too.
    If I am able to retire or at least shift to a much-reduced schedule at a job with a minimal commute, I would like to spend more time in the woods, and get involved in related organizations, e.g. Friends of Lynn Woods and Friends of Breakheart Reservation.

ETA: As far as the now goes, I try to spend as much of my free time in the woods or in the garden as possible.

I love these kinds of thread too!

I would like to make sure the kid's college education is paid for, AND THEN retire from nursing and travel the country tent camping for a year or two, writing a novel along the way.

What I can do now: save money (for kids and me) and write a novel in my free time now. Travel, the way I want to do it-leisurely- will have to wait until the kids are out of high school.
    author of A Holy Errand

I'm really trying to think about this on a personal level. The past 23 years have been all about my husbands "and then" lists.
    I want time for my own list to develop.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Master Gardener's program
    I got into Habitat Stewards and Audubon two years ago and realized it was all too much while still working. Lots of field trips, weekend classes, etc. What free time I have now I have decided to use in my own yard which was starting to look neglected. There will be lots of time in a few years to do the classes and then...

Thread Information