Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: North Korea?

One professor said the danger is that the N. Korean leader has almost painted himself into a corner with his angry rhetoric. Now if he doesn't actually do anything, he'll be stuck on how to explain himself - a situation these guys don't like to be in.

With all this talk of being at war, I often wonder how NK can stop their troops from opening fire on their own.

Mrs-M
    In the case of countries disrupting and threatening world peace, they should be scrubbed off the map. Seems the people of North Korea (the citizens) are just as twisted as the leaders. A despicable country to say the least...

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyMiller View Post
    With all this talk of being at war, I often wonder how NK can stop their troops from opening fire on their own.
    I don't necessarily see that as an evil. Take African countries for example, the world contributes billions of dollars towards helping with food, shelter, and medicine, yet nothing changes. They keep killing one another and rubbing in the faces of those behind support, so I say let them be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    In the case of countries disrupting and threatening world peace, they should be scrubbed off the map. Seems the people of North Korea (the citizens) are just as twisted as the leaders. A despicable country to say the least...
    War is peace? I can agree about those twisted North Koreans, though - especially the children.

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    War is peace? I can agree about those twisted North Koreans, though - especially the children.
    LOL! Ah yes... the "poor children" trump-card. Never fails to tug at the heartstrings. Africa has children, too, but I don't see the world dancing on it's head to assure their safety and well-being, so what makes North Korea any different?

Seems the people of North Korea (the citizens) are just as twisted as the leaders. A despicable country to say the least...
    We have a friend who's mother is from Pyongyang. She taught her daughter to make the most incredible beef dish, kind of bbq-like, with lots of garlic, ginger and chili paste. It always gets served with kimchi. I've had it on a crusty roll with a sauce that reminded me of hoisin, kind of a North Korean banh mi. I don't think that is an entirely authentic presentation, but it was mind blowing how good it was. People who can come up with something like that are not twisted, they're like us. I don't think the North Korean people are any more evil as a whole than the German people were in 1932 or the Cambodian people were in 1963 or... We should not forget that turning NK into a parking lot would wipe out 25 million +/- human beings and a lot of great family recipes.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

LOL! Ah yes... the "poor children" trump-card. Never fails to tug at the heartstrings. Africa has children, too, but I don't see the world dancing on it's head to assure their safety and well-being, so what makes North Korea any different?
    We weren't discussing safety and well-being, we were discussing obliteration.

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    What makes the US any different?
    Exactly. By golly, I think you've got it!

I try to remember that all people are individuals. Some are bad, some are good, and most of us are a mix of the two. Being from North Korea does not make one inherently evil, but the culture is very closed and most of the population knows only what it is told. There's been a long famine, and when a nation isn't able to feed its people, the rhetoric against "others" who can be blamed gets ramped up... Barbara Demik's book "Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea" is a fairly thought-provoking read. It's always difficult for me to understand the actions of people I have very little in common with, but I do keep trying. I don't think that understanding and justifying are the same thing - but it is important to me to attempt understanding. I can't wrap my mind around blaming the people for all - or even some - of the actions of their governments. If we start that, we're all pretty much worthy of tar and feathers...

Thread Information