Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me understand self-locking car doors!

When my mom (with dementia) was in my car, she would lock the door about every 5 minutes--nervous habit. She was in the passenger seat and had access to lock all the doors. When I'd get out, like to put something in the mailbox, I'd come back and all the doors were locked. Then it took me about 5 minutes (okay exaggerating, but it felt like 5 minutes, or 5 hours!) to explain to her how to push up on the lock to unlock the doors. So I got in the habit of never closing the door all the way.

I believe most if not all cars have a method to disable the self locking feature. I read my Honda manual and it states how you can disable this feature. I have not disabled it so I am not sure how it works. My Honda will not lock the doors if it is in park. It will only lock them if you are in drive and going over 8 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by freein05 View Post
    I believe most if not all cars have a method to disable the self locking feature.
    I ended up pithing the brain of the remote entry/locking system, and now simply use a physical key or the mechanical locking button on the door, because I really really don't want to end up eaten by grizzly bears because my car wants to save me from carjackers.

Thanks everyone.

Thread Information