Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to clean out a jetted tub?

How to clean out a jetted tub?

In our new home there is a jetted bathtub that is older. The previous owner of this home was not a clean person so I haven't bathed in it since we have lived here.

I did take cleaner and a toothbrush and clean as much as I could, but what about the pipes inside? I heard they hold mold and mildew along with other just plain gross gunk.

How far down to the pipes go?

Dollar Stretcher has a cleaning recipe this month for washing out where you can reach...

We do also have a septic system so I do have to watch for that.

Is there a service that just cleans out these types of tubs?

Have you had to deal with this????

Thanks! Christine

The manufacturer of my jetted tub recommended that once a month you add a couple of cups of bleach to the water and run it for 10 minutes. I always did it after I had used it, so I didn't waster the water, but I would probably do it without bathing in it first. I probably would run it longer-30minutes?

Our house came with one, too. We almost never use the jets except when cleaning it - they're too powerful. I'd rather have a regular bathtub, frankly - more space. But I clean it with dishwasher detergent and hot water (run the jets) -- I let this go for at least 30 minutes, then drain it, fill with cold water, run the jets again to rinse. Since we hardly ever use it as anything but a shower I only do this 1-2x/year before guests come. In-between I clean the surface of the tub and jets.

Use those dish washing pods and bleach....fill up the tub past the jets, close off the jets then turn jets on. They jets get nice and clean! I use between 6-8 dish washing pods and quite a bit of bleach.
    i'd run it 15 minutes or longer.

barbie

I have one of those, although haven't used it in a long time. But when I did, to clean it, I was supposed to add something like a cup of automatic dish detergent and then it run for a half hour.

Thank you for all the advice, I am going to try and use what you have told me and clean out the tub. I won't use it, but at least it will be clean ...chris

You might try pouring in about a half cup of bleach and a tablespoon of powdered cascade dishwashing detergent.

Run jets for about 15 minutes.

Refill tub with cold water and run again for about 10 minutes to rinse.
    Ron Whitaker
    Blog: BoomerBazaar Blog
    "The Boomers' Marketplace"

Thanks RG I am going to try this...

I just had one installed last week, I love jetted tubs and have had them in the past also. Suggestions above all are about as the directions that came with mine. Automatic dish detergent and run one cycle. Then once a month a cup of bleach run one cycle.
    I always say, nothing a bubble bath and a drink (ok i say a shot of Jose or Jack or Jim)can't wash down the drain

When I had mine, I always ran that cycle at the end of a bathing experience, to save on water.

Thread Information