Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird fears or phobias?

Weird fears or phobias?

I'm always fancinated with unusual and weird phobias and fears, or the more common ones, like fear of spiders or heights, but very extreme enough to cause panic attacks. I'm also facinatedby the fact that some of the weirder ones have actual clinical names. Do you guys have any or know of people who have them - weird ones or extreme ones? How do you/they deal with them? I don't really have any myself except maybe fear of mechanical failure (like on a plane or carnival ride as I don't trust most mechanics) and a fear of not being the person in control of something (driver, pilot, operator of things) - don't know if those are real phobias or not. I once knew a guy who had steam-phobia (can't remember it's clinical name). He was an engineer working on a coast guard steam ship, high pressure steam runs the power plants and engines, and it got so bad that he actually got discharged from the service. Also knew someone who was afraid of the color white - which also has a clinical name.
    Here's a dictonary of phobias that has a very long list (A to Z) of very unusual phobias.
    http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/p...ictionary.html

I have two bad phobias

Touching velvet fabric. I have had this phobia since I was a very young child. Can you imagine how bad it was when my Mum insisted on dressing us (sister, too!) in pretty velvet dresses in the winter?!

The other is PRGs (people of restricted growth)

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I have two bad phobias

Touching velvet fabric.
    Haptodysphoria - An unpleasant sensation derived from touching certain objects. Common with fuzzy things like velvet

I have always found this interesting too Spartana. Some things are soooo strange and can't be explained, it makes you wonder if its in their genes! Or maybe an experience in their past lives??
    I know people who go berzirk with snakes or spiders. DH has always had an extreme discomfort when something is swinging.....like a hanging lamp. He HAS to bring it to a perfectly still position before he can relax.
    Ishbel........sorry if I'm a little dense..........were you being funny with the PRGs, or do you mean dwarfs? kids?

I absolutely hate certain materials on my skin, but it doesn't make me panic. Its just a severe physical discomfort.
    Oh.....I guess I do have a bit of claustrophobia.

I mean dwarfs/midgets, not children!

I cannot describe the feelings of panic when I spot anyone of RG. one year I had three in my tutorial group. I found that a really difficult academic year.

I hate to watch any film, such as star wars, with midget characters. When I was a kid I hated midget circus clowns. I could never watch the sequences in the wizard of oz with the munchkins, either.

Spartana, thanks for giving a name to my velvet phobia. I wonder whether my midget phobia has a name?

Thanks for the explanation Ishbel.

Mrs-M
    Creepy-crawlies, dark places, and heights, are mine.

One of my kids is very uncomfortable around elderly people, while another is uncomfortable around those with special needs.

I used to be afraid of going under bridges, overpasses, skywalks, stuff like that. Total and uncontrolled panic attacks. When I was in my 40s I forced myself to go under those kinds of things and now I never even notice, which is nice because it was very embarrassing. Shudder.

However, I love all kinds of creepy-crawlies and just about nothing else bothers me.

Does cleaning the toilet count?
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I have two bad phobias

Touching velvet fabric. I have had this phobia since I was a very young child. Can you imagine how bad it was when my Mum insisted on dressing us (sister, too!) in pretty velvet dresses in the winter?!

The other is PRGs (people of restricted growth)
    I am the opposite about PRG. They fascinate me and I have sort of a thing for dwarf men (cough cough Peter Dinklage.)

My youngest has Aichmophobia "fear of sharp objects like knives or scissors". Its funny to ask him to unload the dishwasher. I'll come along behind him and find all the knives still in there. He did ask to learn how to sew so he could hem his pants and it suprised me that he'd hold a needle. He was fine with the needle but had to come find me to use the scissors to cut the thread.

I dislike clowns but I wouldn't call it a fear, just a disdain.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information