Thread: L.E.D. lights with decent "wattage" are finally here

L.E.D. lights with decent "wattage" are finally here

*INDOOR* L.E.D. lights that produce the equivalent light of 60 and 75 watt lights bulbs, in warm colors, are finally here. Maybe they've been here for awhile but I haven't seen them. I've waited a long time for these. At your local hardware store (not at places like Target yet). I bought 3 today. Yes, they cost $20-$25 a light bulb - they will save energy and they are supposed to last a long time - but we will see about that. They are kind of oddly heavy, I mean not really heavy but when you are used to light bulbs being light as a feather they seem heavy. No plan to replace all my lights as some a 3-ways etc., but do hope to replace maybe 1/2 my lighting with these.
    Trees don't grow on money

Ok I just found out they say not to use in entirely enclosed lights. Plus a light frame from the ceiling I replaced a light in just crashed down today a few hours after replacing the bulb (I doubt this has anything to do with the LED as the light wasn't even on, but you know those glass light frames that are only held up by screws ... yea they suck. But I guess the light bulb, which is fine, is not in an enclosed frame anymore! sigh ...). And another light bulb I had also put in an enclosed frame I am now afraid to replace it as I might break another light frame Sigh, put this under unfrugals!

But whatever the bulbs aren't bad for non-enclosed lights I guess, the light quality seems quite nice, warm and bright and the right color (so long as you buy the ones marked warm color), and they claim to use very little energy, I still plan to buy a few more despite today's unfrugal adventures with light bulbs.

Do you have a link, ANM? I am very interested.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

It was this brand:

http://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-...dp/B005G4NM1O/

basically what the big box hardware store had, other brands probably exist. I don't have a dimmer so don't really care about that feature, but it is the first time I've seen truly viable LED lightbulb replacements equivalent to the light of real light bulbs. They come in a bluer light that is supposed to be like sunlight but it is too blue IMO, and a warmer light bulb type light, several wattage, none higher than the equivalent of 75 watt but that's much better than we've ever had before in LEDs. Of course it doesn't say not to use it in totally enclosed lights on the package, that's only on the bulb itself after you open it

We recently redid all of the lights in our RV with LEDs, for less than $60 total. We learned a few things, one of which is that you can get them for waaaaaay less if you order direct.

Here's our blog post about it. Hope this saves y'all some money!

Our LED RV Lighting Research Report

Thread Information