Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: YMOYL FI - Step 1 !

Quote Originally Posted by EarthSky View Post
    I've heard of thd 33 items idea - would like to try it, but not sure I even own 33 clothing items at the moment, LOL (though I might be surprised once the inventory is done - duh!)

Thanks for the inspiration, sumarie.
    Assuming they mean 33 items of outer clothing, so, omitting shoes and my bathing suit, I have 37 items of clothing:

3 Tank tops
    11 Short sleeve tops
    2 T-shirts
    1 Longsleeve shirt
    13 Long pants
    4 Shorts
    1 Dress
    1 Skirt
    1 Blazer

EarthSky, I know what you mean about how overwhelming (& insidious!) the paper stuff can be! Yikes! I applaud your work so far, & for some reason this reminds me of an interview someone once did with the poet William Stafford. He made a commitment to write every morning & produced fabulous poems (IMHO) -- when asked what he did when his work wasn't up to his usual good quality his answer was "I lower my standards". I loved this because it pointed out that everybody has good & bad, productive & unproductive days and the important thing is to just keep going forward, whether progress is great or small. We've aimed for the Easter deadline for this step & it keeps us pointed towards this goal but in reality the patient won't die if we don't make the deadline. Keeping moving with smaller bites, for a longer time period, also gets the job done.

I'm inspired to hear of how small your clothing inventories are, Reader 99 & EarthSky! (and perhaps many others) I have lots more than that & am going to take another look at everything. Loved the Fawn quote about getting to shop a bit more often to replace the few items she has. hehe! Somehow that puts a new twist on it for me. Because I live in a fairly remote place, and have tended to buy most everything used, I can't count on being able to find what I need when I need it. But with only 33 or so items, it certainly is possible to buy something new now & then. (but not until June, when my Year of Not Buying New ends). I'm so enjoying the new ideas & the range of possibilities for experimentation in so many areas.

[QUOTE=sumarie;18722]when asked what he did when his work wasn't up to his usual good quality his answer was "I lower my standards".

Love it! and yes, the deadline is just to get us, or keep us, moving! World won't come to an end if we don't complete step 1 by then!

Happy Day, I finished my "count"! (details under "success stories") Thanks, everybody, for encouragement!

Wow! so impressed sumarie!! Congrats! I have gotten sidetracked by working on the paperwork, but now that I am making real progress there, and starting to feel more at peace, I'm thinking it was a necessary 'pre-step' that I needed to take, prior to the 'count.' Although I have many organized bins, file boxes, etc., they were scattered, and it was making me crazy to have to search in many places. So now I'm consolidat
    ing into 1 vertical 4-drawer file cabinet - and if doesn't fit, I need to find a way to Purge some more, lol!

Okay, I am way not meeting the goal. Still lost in finding a home for all the paperwork, and in job applicaitions and prep for interviews. How is everyone else doing? (other than our star, sumarie!

New goal date? Cinco de Mayo?

Cinco de Mayo sounds great, reader99! (Although I'll be travelling all next week for a conference and job interviews - does that count as an excuse, lol??)

Wait, what? We're not even to Easter yet folks --- c'mon now push it hard through Sunday!!!

Or, Easter for those who can, Easter as a goal date for some kind of intermediate accomplishment for those who won't make it by Easter. Intermediate things could be something like requesting the Soc Sec earnings statement, or roughing out an Excel or paper format in which to take the inventory, or just knowing what date you will probably be free to start working on it.
    And Cinco de Mayo as a goal for finishing some aspect of step 1?

Thread Information