Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question and Answer... SLF expectancy.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    WARNING WARNING WARNING

I'm about to get slightly corporate which is something I do not often do and I don't think I have ever done around here so I thought I'd better preface this with a warning.

I wonder.....the old boards were tied into the concept of Your Money or Your Life which was in my opinion the "brand" that loosely steered this ship. Matter of fact I think when I landed here back in August of 2005, I did a search for simple living your money or your life and ended out here and liked what I saw and jumped in.

The economy overall has changed a great deal since 2005, I think most would agree with this. For one thing, the treasuries that are espoused in YMOYL are paying sad amounts now, very sad. And inflation on everyday items is going up up up, I can see this in my trips to the store on a sadly regular basis now. So I'm thinking that many folks may have scrapped YMOYL or at least part of it.

Which brings me to my point. I'm wondering if we want to attract others to this site and have things more lively as they once were - maybe we need to think of having some kind of "brand" loosely guide this ship once again? I don't mean brand in the sense of Proctor and Gamble or Coca Cola or HP - I mean brand in the sense of some kind of guiding concept.

What do you'all think? Rob

Mrs-M
    How about the idea of instating a one-time sign-up fee/charge for new members?

What are you trying to accomplish, Mrs-M?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    OK, then, how about instating a one-time sign-up fee/charge for new members?
    This I just can't see working Mrs. M, as my feeling is that folks will find alternatives elsewhere online not charging such fees. Imagine if you will shopping for a cell phone - would you pay a $35 activation fee or would you shop around to avoid this fee AND get the lowest price on unlimited text and minutes after researching who has middle to low customer service complaints vs. the competition? Maybe not a good example overall but my point is - even we, if we wish to be more of a business - face some kind of online competition - in this case, other sites not charging such fees. Rob

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    If we were a business trying to survive we would (or at least should) take a very close look at what our customers wanted vs. what we were providing. Businesses fail as often as not because they are selling the wrong thing or trying to sell the right thing to the wrong people. The same kind of analysis is valid here. If we figure out who we most strongly appeal to its easy to find them in the age of targeted media.
    It's a simple enough concept, but applying the logic and theory (I believe) will prove to be more of a challenge than thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    How about the idea of instating a one-time sign-up fee/charge for new members?
    To what end? Try as I might, I can't wrap my head around the value of restricting the site or charging folks for the pleasure of our company.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    This I just can't see working Mrs. M, as my feeling is that folks will find alternatives elsewhere online not charging such fees. Imagine if you will shopping for a cell phone - would you pay a $35 activation fee or would you shop around to avoid this fee AND get the lowest price on unlimited text and minutes after researching who has middle to low customer service complaints vs. the competition? Maybe not a good example overall but my point is - even we, if we wish to be more of a business - face some kind of online competition - in this case, other sites not charging such fees. Rob
    I say let them find alternatives. If I'm shopping for something unique and special, you have to pay for it, and the same should hold true for this site. JMTC. (Just my two cents).

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    To what end? Try as I might, I can't wrap my head around the value of restricting the site or charging folks for the pleasure of our company.
    Like yourself, I can't wrap my head around inviting members (by the hundreds) to enjoy our company, when we are fully aware that 90 (some odd) percent could care less about our home.

FWIW, I joined because I needed the input and valued the input about simple living and life issues in general.

I want everyone to have the same access as I did and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    FWIW, I joined because I needed the input and valued the input about simple living and life issues in general.
    I want everyone to have the same access as I did and still do.
    I definitely agree with this. I sincerely doubt that mandatory fees and required registration have ever led to more members or more participation in online communities. Let's keep this place welcoming, friendly and open.

Kara

Thread Information