Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question and Answer... SLF expectancy.

Someone above posted about how the original site was tied to YMOL and that is why I found it. That was also the most appealing part of the old site. That is what drew people in, looking for a better way to work with your money to accomplish your own simpler goals.

This incarnation, for the most part, has morphed into an "Agony Aunt" column. It's so heavily weighted now with personal problems that it's hard to find anything relevant to YMOL.

Yes, I know, start the topic if that's what interests you. Got it.

Geila
    Why not ask people what they want?

In my recent survey topic query I was very surprised that the topic I had predicted would be favored (anxiety & depression) ended up the least popular. Happiness was the favorite and I had figured that people here wouldn't have any interest in that.

It would be simple enough to create a survey to find out what people are looking for in an online community such as this one - or specifically in this one. If there are many lurkers/readers already, that means that the interest is there.

Geila
    I posted this reply in the Goodbye thread but it seems relevant so I've copied it here:

I first found SL via an internet search after reading YMOYL and I was interested in the idea of FI. At that time, the site had a wonderful finance/investment section. Jonathan was great and the site felt very welcoming, supportive and friendly.

Some time ago (a couple of years maybe), I posted a question on the finance boards here and I received one response and a very harsh one at that. I was shocked at the level of disrespect in that response and was disappointed that no one from the moderating team came in to say that that behavior was not in line with this site's mission. I certainly will not post again in that forum (pretty sad considering that's the forum that brought me in) and I have limited my engagement a great deal. If that interaction had been my first foray into this site, I would not have returned. As it is, I had invited a friend to join the site so she could read the responses to my question as she was interested in that topic as well. I was embarrassed by the response I did get and apologized for wasting her time. I used to recommend this site all the time when I first found it. Not anymore.

I think it's sad that now that we are under the NRM umbrella (which I am happy about) the financial aspect of SL and the goal of FI has virtually disappeared from the site. It seems that many people have drifted over to the MMM site for lack of one here.

I avoid the PP forum. I don't know if that forum is sucking the energy from the rest of the site or not. What I do know is that I find the energy there very negative.

I've been a long time member of a frugal site. It started off free and had 400 people posting. It went 'paid' and has gone down to less than 30 regular posters.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    would you pay a $35 activation fee or would you shop around to avoid this fee AND get the lowest price on unlimited text and minutes after researching who has middle to low customer service complaints vs. the competition?
    If the product or service is good enough -- that is, has enough value to the buyer, they'll pay more for it. In your example, look at Verizon. Probably the most expensive wireless out there. But they have lots of coverage and spiffy new phones and people are attracted enough to that to pay for it. Meanwhile low-cost carriers like Virgin/Boost, MetroPCS, etc., see lots of customer churn.

That aside, though, I think there would have to be something special/exclusive offered here before people would pay to join. The Mr. Money Mustache forums seem pretty busy to me (at least they generate a fair amount of discussion) and they're free. I don't think we could differentiate ourselves enough to make pay-for-play work. Maybe if "subscribers" could be offered access to content not available to non-subscribers or on other free sites. But I have no idea what that would be outside of the now-defunct YMoYL connection. Not that it couldn't happen; I just don't see it happening in the current environment.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I've been a long time member of a frugal site. It started off free and had 400 people posting. It went 'paid' and has gone down to less than 30 regular posters.
    I don't understand why. If you have a credit card, you have to pay a charge/fee. If you drive a vehicle, you have to pay for insurance/maintenance/upkeep, etc. If you subscribe to a newspaper, you have to pay as you go.

Mrs-M
    Maybe it's time we restricted access to everyone (non-members/those not logged in), aside from the basics, as in one or two forums, just to give them a taste/sample of what we have to offer, then maybe, that in itself might promote members to post and get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    Maybe it's time we restricted access to everyone (non-members/those not logged in), aside from the basics, as in one or two forums, just to give them a taste/sample of what we have to offer, then maybe, that in itself might promote members to post and get involved.
    Before making any drastic changes like this, can we vote on it?

Thank you,

Kara

Let me turn-the-table on your question and present another question of my own. Why should we allow free-access to anyone/everyone, when those who don't participate, also don't help support the cause of our home? What does that gain?
    Free access is like trying on a pair of shoes, BEFORE YOU BUY. It allows you to see if they fit.

Quote Originally Posted by CeciliaW View Post
    Someone above posted about how the original site was tied to YMOL and that is why I found it. That was also the most appealing part of the old site. That is what drew people in, looking for a better way to work with your money to accomplish your own simpler goals.
    I found out about YMOYL online, and searching for it, I found the front page of the closed board, which led me here. I looked around for a bit before signing up, and there seemed to be a lot that fit. The bad part was the forum was extremely small, as it is relatively new, with all the old content gone. That in itself, IMHO, makes it harder to get the attention of possible members and contributors as there is less for Google search bots, to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by watergoddess View Post
    Why not ask people what they want?

In my recent survey topic query I was very surprised that the topic I had predicted would be favored (anxiety & depression) ended up the least popular. Happiness was the favorite and I had figured that people here wouldn't have any interest in that.
    Yeah, people have no interest in being happy!?! What kind of people do you hang around, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by watergoddess View Post
    I think it's sad that now that we are under the NRM umbrella (which I am happy about) the financial aspect of SL and the goal of FI has virtually disappeared from the site. It seems that many people have drifted over to the MMM site for lack of one here.

I avoid the PP forum. I don't know if that forum is sucking the energy from the rest of the site or not. What I do know is that I find the energy there very negative.
    I agree that the discussion that attracted me here, is mostly gone (especially in archived posts to learn from), and that is sad.
    I also mostly avoid the political section. Too much bovine excrement, that doesn't change peoples minds, causes arguments, only gets real animated around election times (when everyone starts noticing politics) and causes hard feelings and loss of memberships (IMPE with other boards). If I want to fight/argue, I have family and religion for that.
    But there is NO way to opt out or ignore that board (which is a function that is needed, IMHO).

Mrs. M. You want to go to a paid board, start one. See how fast it grows, watch you loose members (example, would Zoegirl stick around if she had to pay, with her situation?), quickly and being pay to read, most people aren't going to blindly pay for entrance. I think you posted this emotionally and without use of your head.

I don't understand why. If you have a credit card, you have to pay a charge/fee. If you drive a vehicle, you have to pay for insurance/maintenance/upkeep, etc. If you subscribe to a newspaper, you have to pay as you go.
    Most people I know, use NO ANNUAL fee credit cards. Bad example.
    Vehicle insurance, IS the LAW (and people still break it and only pay a fine, that is typically less then the insurance with their records)
    Look at the newspapers, subscriptions are WAY down (to the point most the journalists are telling people do not go into the field), this is due in large part, to FREE ACCESS to news and media online.

Thread Information