Thread: Wedding Shockers

Wedding Shockers

So, got any? This past weekend a friend/neighbour and I were talking. She said she 'thinks' she is going to her male cousin's wedding the following weekend. The cousin had a long term (6 year) relationship with one woman. Then she left him. He immediately found a new woman and after a whirlwind courtship they became engaged.

When gf#1 heard about it she called him and begged him to not marry gf#2. So neighbour didn't know if the wedding would take place.

So, a few days later I ran into her and she told me the wedding is taking place after all. With one small caveat-it will be with a different bride!!!! He is now getting married to gf#1!! I suppose gf#2's guest won't come...but wow, first time I ever heard of this

Have you ever attended or heard about a wedding shocker? S

I have one. My BIL and his ex-wife were both gun owners and fanciers (no, this isn't an anti-gun-owner post, I promise). When they got married in a Greek Orthodox church a few years ago, before the ceremony, the family and groom and bridesmaids were hanging out in the church. The bride sent her bridesmaids to present the groom with his wedding gift, a new gun. BIL proceeded to pose with it and the bridesmaids in front of the altar for pictures (the wedding photographer was there), Charlie's Angels-style. It was very odd, and didn't seem at all appropriate in the very formal church setting. BIL's grandmother kept elbowing me to ask me why BIL had a gun in church. I didn't have a good answer. Later at the reception, we saw that the bride had her own gun strapped to her ankle.

Again, not trying to start a gun thing. It all just seemed really out of place in that church (the most formal church setting I have ever been in), especially in a family that just hasn't grown up with guns around or in that culture. So, to me, that was a wedding shocker.

Kara

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger View Post
    I have one. My BIL and his ex-wife were both gun owners and fanciers (no, this isn't an anti-gun-owner post, I promise). When they got married in a Greek Orthodox church a few years ago, before the ceremony, the family and groom and bridesmaids were hanging out in the church. The bride sent her bridesmaids to present the groom with his wedding gift, a new gun. BIL proceeded to pose with it and the bridesmaids in front of the altar for pictures (the wedding photographer was there), Charlie's Angels-style. It was very odd, and didn't seem at all appropriate in the very formal church setting. BIL's grandmother kept elbowing me to ask me why BIL had a gun in church. I didn't have a good answer. Later at the reception, we saw that the bride had her own gun strapped to her ankle.

Again, not trying to start a gun thing. It all just seemed really out of place in that church (the most formal church setting I have ever been in), especially in a family that just hasn't grown up with guns around or in that culture. So, to me, that was a wedding shocker.

Kara

haha I've been to many weddings and flipped through many bridal mags and have NEVER EVER seen a gun strapped to a bride's ankle! hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Frugal View Post
    haha I've been to many weddings and flipped through many bridal mags and have NEVER EVER seen a gun strapped to a bride's ankle! hahahaha
    Apparently you aren't reading the right magazines.

Kara

Treehugger: giving new meaning to "shotgun wedding!"

My mother was engaged to someone else when she fell in love with my father. Her sage advice re romance ran roughly like "If you're not married, you're single." That was what I took away, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger View Post

Kara
    Lol. I tell DW that I might not have married her at all if her Dad hadn't had a shotgun!
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My mother was engaged to someone else when she fell in love with my father. Her sage advice re romance ran roughly like "If you're not married, you're single." That was what I took away, anyway.
    Happened like that with my former in-laws. She met him at the engagement party - he was engaged to someone else. Scandalous, back in the day.

My parents got married twice. The first time was when my mother was a minor and her parents made them annul it. About a year later they got married for real and it stuck until they died.

Thread Information