Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Legalize Marijuana...

I just want to be clear that in our scenario the ONLY way anyone ever got drug tested is if they were involved in an incident in which someone got hurt. That was a Workman's Comp mandate and there was nothing we could have done to change it even if we wanted to. I had absolutely no desire to try to expose the recreational drug users through any kind of pre-employment or random testing. Our policy applied only to working hours, not the lives of employees in general. The only way I cared about what they did on their own time was if the effects of whatever they ingested lingered into the work day. That happened more than you might think.

In a non-governmental sense a workplace is a private enterprise. The employer should have the right to implement pretty much any policy regarding employees codes of conduct that they see fit (assuming they all fit within standard, non-discriminatory practices). Almost every company has some kind of dress code defining what is appropriate and what is not in their workplace. Anyone who applies to UPS knows they will have to wear ugly brown uniforms if they're hired. The applicants can decide if that's ok or if its more than their fashion sense can stand, but there is no violation of anyone's civil rights because UPS has a my way or the highway approach to uniforms. A no drug policy isn't much different as long as it is clear from the beginning. Successful applicants can decide if they would rather take the job or take the drugs. Since they are free to choose at that point no civil liberties are compromised.

The shortest route I see to a witch hunt is letting the insurance companies get involved. IMO it's virtually guaranteed if they get their way.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Glo View Post
    If marijuana were legal, I'd smoke every day!
    It's not legal where I live, and I still smoke every day...cause I grow my own....

The Department of Transportation requires drug testing, I think, of some kind. DH used to work for a tree company and while it was hard enough to get tree climbers, it was really hard to get tree climbers who didn't have THC in their bloodstream. They all had to test for drugs randomly due to DOT requirements. They all drove big trucks.

Those guy could swing like monkey through trees with a chain saw in one hand, but they couldn't lay off the MJ.

Where I work, we both randomly test for drugs AND alcohol and we will test for both if someone is acting as though they are under the influence. If the person tests positive in both the field test and lab test, s/he is fired. Thus far, we have fired 100% of the people tested, so our field judgement is good. This is a medical industry-related company that follows the same standards as the local hospitals. I was tested before I was hired as well.

Some industries are more strict than others.

My employment huddles go back to the lie detector days. I well remember the questions about working or going to work under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I got a little tripped up over taking pencils from a previous employer, but passed. Even then they were having trouble finding people in certain trades who could pass the drug and alcohol questions. Times have changed and maybe will change again.

Most recent news here is that it looks like lawmakers are on the verge of passing numeric DUI blood/THC limits for pot. I wonder if this limit could also be applied to workplace impairment rather than something subjective. It seems like it is one big interesting experiment and maybe will set precedence for other states...or possibly become unworkable. Retail sales will be taxed at hefty 25 or 30 percent, which should allow a decent income for the state. Part of that tax is an excise tax that will be used for school construction projects. The sales tax portion will be used to regulate pot sales.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thread Information