Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amy D's daughters interviews--how growing up in the Tightwad household impacted them

Amy D's daughters interviews--how growing up in the Tightwad household impacted them

This morning I found this blog post from someone who "tracked down the Dacyczyn daughters to see how growing up in the Tightwad household impacted them. Jamie is the eldest Dacyczyn daughter, and her interview will appear in two parts."

The blog's name is The Frugal Shrink; first interview appears on May 6, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by gail_d View Post
    This morning I found this blog post from someone who "tracked down the Dacyczyn daughters to see how growing up in the Tightwad household impacted them. Jamie is the eldest Dacyczyn daughter, and her interview will appear in two parts."

The blog's name is The Frugal Shrink; first interview appears on May 6, 2013.
    This is supposedly FLickr photos of an Amy D daughter wedding. I can't verify it, but it came from a fellow simple living fan:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmdsnow...7630521442354/

I loved her interview. She's a wonderful girl and a daughter anyone would be proud to have.

Back in the day I never thought one way or the other about Amy D's parenting skills (or lack thereof) - but her daughter's sentence about working along side her father to "pay him back" the $50 in her own sweat for the kayak, just made me feel a bit sick.

I think there's a way to teach kids fiscal discipline without keeping this kind of score sheet. They're your kids for gawd's sake, not your employees.
    Last edited by kitten; 5-6-13 at 1:27pm.

thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed this

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by kitten View Post
    Back in the day I never thought one way or the other about Amy D's parenting skills (or lack thereof) - but her daughter's sentence about working along side her father to "pay him back" the $50 in her own sweat for the kayak, just made me feel a bit sick.

I think there's a way to teach kids fiscal discipline without keeping this kind of score sheet. They're your kids for gawd's sake, not your employees.
    That's interesting. I thought it was great that she worked for her kayak.

Working to pay for something you wanted was standard in my extended family growing up. We mostly worked for our parents since outside jobs were scarce for kids. I used to get $5 for sweeping out and washing the inside of the car. Took a couple of hours and I still remember feeling proud of how it looked after I was done.

Nice interview and blog (the blog owner is just up the highway from me about 30 minutes or so. Think I'll follow that blog for awhile.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by kitten View Post
    I read that really differently from you, especially with the following sentence: "Looking back, I bet it actually cost my dad more than that, but my dad really really wanted to support a budding outdoorswoman so badly that he probably absorbed whatever the real cost was without telling anyone...I never asked."

That seems like a healthy kid-parent relationship to me. Anyway, still working my way through the interview and enjoying it.

Kara

gail_d, thanks for passing this on. Please let us know if any of the other Dacyzian kids are interviewed or otherwise post.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

The blog author said that she'd be interviewing two other Dacyczyn daughters so I believe their interviews will be up this week.

Thread Information