Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Did you grow up poor?

Had some very poor times with clothes from the neighbours in my early teens but loved living in the country with the care of farm animals so no regrets as my life developed very well ever after.

I am still frugal and not into impressing anyone and as long as my clothes are neat, clean and classic in style, I am content.

My mother was born in 1914, my father in 1919, my fathers family immigrated here from Russia in 1917, -0- money, they lived in a hut made of dirt (really dirt) there were 11 children that lived (17 total). My mom's father died in 1924 leaving my grandmother with 6 children. Some how she made it. My father would go on to become an alcoholic and abandon my sister and I when I was 2 years old. My mom was older, and had a heart condition, so we ended up on welfare. But my mom could make a dime scream! She cooked and sewed, we had amazing friends and family that brought us fresh produce and fresh fish. My mom never drove a car a day in her life, so we walked everywhere till my sister turned 16 and my grandmother bought her a car. (1963 Rambler) Being the youngest pretty much everything I had was "hand-me-down" At the beginning of the school year there was a family friend who would take us shopping and buy each one of us 1 new outfit. My grandmother would provide shoes or coats which ever was the most needed that year.
    As soon as we were of working age we started to earn money, I babysat all over the neighborhood, my sister worked as a maid at a local hotel. We picked beans and berries. With this income we would combine our funds and go school clothes shopping. I taught myself to sew and started to make my own clothes.
    My father died when I was 22 my mom when I was 39. My youth gave me 2 issues, one I called my Scarlett O'Hara complex. "As God as my witness I'll never be hungry again" And so I shopped to stock up. Not always wisely. #2. I struggled for a long time with its "MINE" having to share everything I owned as a child I always wanted something that was just MINE. I also struggled with my relationship with Men but that's a whole issue unto itself
    Today I'm 58 years old, healthy (not wealthy) but much wiser!!

Thank you Mrs B. I totally understand your issues. I don't stock up but freedom to have what I want when I want it is very important to me.

Thread Information