Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to 'deal' when you're ADD (LONG)

How to 'deal' when you're ADD (LONG)

I've never been officially diagnosed, but I pretty much fit the profile of someone with Attention Deficit Disorder. So, some of my challenges are focusing. I have trouble reading, even though I love to read and read and write well, because I have trouble staying focused on the text. I have a hard time proof reading because I have trouble focusing on words.

I have a difficult time with any tasks that require attention and detail. My mind flits from thing to thing. Funnily enough I get things done, just very randomly. I cannot just finish one task. I liken myself to my old pet ferret. He would just follow his nose. Wherever it pointed, there he went; or like a magpie. "OH look! Something shiny!" And there I go. It can be very hard. If I don't follow a ritual coming and going from the house, I inevitably lose, forget and scramble things, leave stoves on and whatnot. So, those are a few examples of how ADD affects me. Loud noises distract and irritate me. Too much information at a time confuses me. I have a hard time staying focused on one task at a time.

Anyway, recently I read a post on another forum (a teachers forum) about how to be a teacher when you have ADD. I thought this was brilliant. It's true, keeping up with paper work and being organized and on task is my biggest challenge. The thread never really gave me any real ideas for how to work with this. But wow, it really made me think. It's not just 'getting organized', it's how to be organized in a way that actually works for people who have trouble staying focused. Like many folks with ADD I have no order and am unorganized and chaotic. So, how to become more organized when being organized creates a physical state of confusion? At work I cannot seem to create a workable system that really helps me stay on task. I file things and forget where I filed them. (because not everything is exactly clear, and often could be cross filed. So, do I file this under social emotional or language? And how do I remember which I filed it under???.) I do things and then forget what I did. I write notes on my hand or at home even on the wall, so I can't lose the note. I get several projects going at once. That's ok, because in the end I get things accomplished, but I also lose track, get confused and get unfocused. If I organize a drawer to 'get organized' I forget, later where I decided to put things in order to 'stay organized' and then actually lose things for a long time!!!

So, here's my question: Does anyone have any ideas or experience for how to get and stay organized when you have ADD? What kind of things work for those with Attention deficit disorder? Do you know of anything that actually focuses this kind of aspect? When I googled it, I found lots of ideas for getting organized but they actually make me lose focus more. That's the problem. The more organized and detailed something is, the more I feel physically disoriented and confused. I cannot focus and lose whatever ground I gained. I know this is hard to explain. But I was wondering, does anyone have something that they know of that actually helps this kind of disorder to stay focused or to be organized? I always start the new school year with the best intentions and create systems, but I can never stick with them and always lose track and fall out and end up terribly disoriented and disorganized again. So, there it is. I hope I can get some actual ideas that pertain to the issue of how to stay organized and on track with ADD and not just general advice that could apply to anything. If 'anything' worked, I'd be doing it. So, thanks for reading, and if you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Don't have anything to share except that I'm sorry you have to deal with this...best wishes to find the solution that feel most comfortable to you...

Tiam, you mentioned a routine when you leave the house and it sounds like that's what makes that part of the day more manageable and less frustrating. What exactly does that routine look like?

I have some technology-related ideas for you for work, but do you have the flexibility to come up with new systems, or are you stuck with doing files/procedures a certain way? Are you a person who enjoys technology or finds it relatively ok to learn? If you have a huge learning curve with technology, then that's not a good solution for you to feel more at ease with life. But if you have flexibility and at least not an aversion to it, I could offer up some of those ideas.

You mentioned that you are actually getting things done. Is the issue more about that the journey is so stressful, like always making it to your destination but getting lost EVERY TIME you drive your car? Or is it more the sensory stuff, like the noises, etc. that are really bothering you right now?
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Sorry, couldn't read such a long post. I have ADD.

No, seriously (and I am kind of serious), I also am pretty sure I have ADD. I've always had a horrible time staying organized and focused.

Right now, as we speak, I just finished a report for my clients, but my reports are TORTUOUS to do. I can't tell you how many demons I have to slay to get them done! And it's not that I don't like writing or feel like I'm not a good writer, I just can't settle down.

My son is like that, but 10x worse. After many bumpy roads, which I've described here, he's made it from high school drop-out to law school graduate (he graduates in two weeks). He's been a student while working full time, and if you asked me if he could do it a few years back, as much as I love him, I would really wonder how, given his ADD tendencies. The choir director of the church let him try his Ritalin, and based on that, my son got his own prescription, and whether it's placebo effect or not, it has worked beautifully.

As for me, I'm sorry to say that I haven't found any really good solution. My best one is to get up at 5 am and do what I need to do then, for two reasons: it's the least distracting time of the day. I'm all alone in the wee hours.

Also, there's a psychological thing about it: I feel that if I've suffered to get out of bed that early, it's a real waste to use up that time surfing the web or whatever.

The other little mind trick I play is one that my mother used to use, and Thich Nhat Hahn, the Buddhist monk, says it, too: Start where you are. By focusing on just what is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU you can practice blocking out all the other gnatty thoughts and visual and audio distractions.

Also, I find I really need to keep my office clutter free, and my decorating style is monochromatic for the most part. Any excess visual stimulation sets me off--that's why I'm a huge victim of "broken window syndrome." If one thing is out of place, I fall into despair and won't pick up for days.

So I'm anxious to hear the tips other folks have.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Fidgie it's a bit of both. Noise and stimulation at work are a huge contributor. I work in a shared office and it gets quite noisy. When this happens I put ear phones in and listen to meditation or preferred music and drown it out. At home, when I leave I have to walk to the stove and visually look at it. I point to each burner and say "Off, Off, Off, Off" if all are off. If one isn't, I stop and fix that. Then I walk carefully and say outloud things I need to take with me, and that can vary based on whether or not I'm taking school supplies with me. So, I say "Purse, Phone, lunch, sweater, sunglasses, books, playdo, etc." When I get home, I ask anyone at home to give me 10 minutes before talking to me. If people talk to me right as I get home I get confused, agitated and flustered. So, I get home and put my purse down, but I say "I"m putting my purse on the table." outloud. As I take off my shoes I say "I'm putting my shoes next to the door." If I don't do these little rituals I am hopelessly lost. If people are talking to me, I can't do the ritual. At work, most of the work is physical. We have an online observation and grading program, that is fine. It's more like the mounds of paperwork that are constantly geneerated. The child file is fine, because the papers are coded and need to be filed in code order, but there are my own files. So, I have a file drawer with some paper tools, such as home visit forms, another file for personal things that accumulate through the year, paystubs, evaluations and such. Then a file for work generated information. This is where I get really mixed up. Because there are lots of different pieces and as I said, some pieces cross over. So, we get printouts from trainings, memos with current info or new rules. There are accident reports, communication reports, team and meeting notifications. There are this weeks lesson plans and sign ins. Plus, there is the stuff I generate. As it is a preschool I am always in a project. The projects generate lots of paper cutting and prep work. I have a file box for templates but I still get mixed up. There's usually a constant incoming outgoing number of things on my desk. This weeks project that required sea shells, is there, along with last months art project because I haven't remembered to take it home. There are markers, crayons, pencils, foam, construction paper, string, hole punchers all there for activity prep. There are observation notes, and meeting notes and piles of children's work. I will do a purge and clean and get rid of things, but I can't always find a natural home for some things and they start to pile because I don't know where to put things. Then, while I'm purging, I'll create files for things, to put them away, then later, when I am looking for that thing, I cannot decide(remember) what I decided to file it under. We are not allowed to have clutter around our desks so a lot of times I just end up pushing huge piles of stuff into my file drawer so it becomes invisible. So, what I see is that I need a system that is easy to follow. I need a system that is intuitive. The more technical it gets, or the more specific it becomes the more physically confused and agitated I become. At work there is a lot of interpersonal information sharing, both by emails and person to person. People come up all the time and have to talk. (exchange information) It's not always a convenient time, but it's when they have time and it's urgent and has to be shared. So then I get interrupted a lot and mixed up and off task and need to refocus again. I have a desk calendar with information on it, but 50% of the time it's covered with projects that have no where else to live. I see teachers who keep track with things like excel, but I'm not good with excel. In fact it has that very aspect that confuses me. Anything extremely graphlike like that that will have that affect on me. (I'm also discalculate), things that are graphlike, or very modular like tend to create a sense of confusion and disorientation. (to this day I haven't been able to complete my degree due to this issue with math). So, again pretty long, but I just wanted to kind of paint a picture for how organization can be difficult for me. Thanks for listening.

Here's another thing about to-do lists: I only put 3 things on it at a time. Forget David Allen and Getting Things Done with his lists and sublists etc... I so strongly identified with you on this, Tiam. Your behavior and mental confusion sounds just like mine.

If I put three things I have to do on my list for the day, I can manage that.

I just started using the app Wunderlist which is very, very simple. So far it's kind of worked for me.

https://www.wunderlist.com/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

How are you with color coding paper things? Sometimes that extra visual might help.

You are right. And it all sounds good. Till I try and create a stick by a system. It's very hard to find a way to organize that works. I watch what other teachers do. They seem to have systems that work for them. I still haven't found the exact way. Some of it is just to follow my own tendencies and find ways to use them successfully. Like dumping. I'm a dumper. Big piles dumped on the desk. Well, I can create files for somethings, like lesson plans and just tip them in. Now it's a vertical file. But more specific things, I get lost, because as I said I cannot even remember what system I used. I don't remember where I chose to file something or put something away at. It's that "I'm a piler not a filer" pattern. Piling works but only so far. Filing works if I could just remember how it works! Everytime I go on a mass organization attack, the next day I can't find anything. Whatever made sense yesterday doesn't make sense today. It's an interesting dilemma, because it goes beyond just 'getting organized'; it's 'getting organized successfully with ADD'.

When you file, you could put reminder slips in alternative folders to tell you where to look for an item. For example, if you file a new procedure under "Recess," you could leave reminders in the "Procedures" and "Rule Updates" folders to look in the "Recess" one.

I define "distractible," but I would never cop to a pop-psych label. So glad I came along before everyone had to have one.

When I am somewhere about 85-93% done with something I feel the strongest urge to go do or start something else. I have to say to myself, as if talking to my kids, "Stay focused and complete what you are doing." If I don't, I end up with multiple things begun and never finished.

The most hilarious thing I ever did was when I worked billable hours. I am a 'Spurts' person - I can dink around most of the day, then in about a 2-3 hour period I can really crank some things out. Trying to get this to fit into a billable hours system was truly laughable for me.

When I was in cubeland, I had to put a sign at my cube entrance on certain Crank It Out occasions, "Unless your matter is an emergency, please send me an email and I will get back with you before the end of the business day. Thank You" (then I would carve out the last hour of work to respond to these emails as promised)
    And I have definitely learned when I am on a role and interrupted that I have to say, "I am in the middle of something, I will be down to talk with you as soon as I am done." Then I write it on a Post It Note immediately and put it close to my computer screen.

I like using folders on my desk that are graduated heights - kind of like this http://www.staples.com/Staples-Metal...product_218420
    If it is out of sight, it is out of mind for me too.

In general I find if I eat protein at every meal & exercise every day and watch my sugar/junk intake -- my mind is much more calm and can deal.

Have you come across additudemag.com in your research?
    I just did a quick Google search too and it has a lot of great info.

Thread Information