Thread: Deming/Las Cruces New Mexico for Retirement

Deming/Las Cruces New Mexico for Retirement

DH and I are looking a possible places to retire in the next 10-12 years. One of the places that we are looking at is Deming which is right next to Las Cruces, NM. I was wondering if anyone had ever visited there or lived there who can give us some insight into the area, culture, and lifestyle

Thanks!

I lived in Las Cruces thirty years ago. Recently, feeling nostalgic, I started planning a trip back there. Then I looked on Google maps at the place where I used to live. Has not changed one iota. Not one bit. Same empty soccer field across the street. Same empty commercial lot next door. But of course there has been lots of suburban type development, I don't mean to suggest that it has not grown in 30 years.
    I don't know where you are from. For me, Las Cruces was interesting and a little exotic with lots of Mexican culture and mountains surrounding it. The architecture is charming and I still hover around Realtor.com zip code 88001 to see what is up. But in the end--it was too damn dry. I am a Midwestern girl, I must have green. Trees and greenery are important and certainly mountains are nice, but if the trade off is desert--no, it is not a trade-off I'll take. It is very dusty and there are lots of bugs.

The Organ mountains are pretty and are viewable from wherever you are in the city.

Even back then it was a destination for snowbirds and retirees, and certainly New Mexico has low cost of living (and is one of the poorest states in our U.S.) I distinctly remember a woman from New York who recently had moved there complaining because the local newspaper didn't have "a travel section." hahahah the entire newspaper was only one section. Some people are not realistic. The infrastructure is limited and that's not a bad thing, it is what it is.

Things are slow paced there, it is southern and things happen "manana." I remember coming back from a visit to the Midwest and I was walking fast through the airport and my friends, who came to pick me up, said "she's been out east, look how fast she is walking."

Outside of Las Cruces is Old Mesilla, a charming old historic town. I've been to Deming but don't remember much of it. I'll tell you where is charming: Silver City. Look into that.

Thank you so much Iris Lilies It sounds awesome! We are currently from Central NJ and a slow pace of life, mountains, and space sounds wonderful! DH and I were looking at Las Cruces originally and found Deming. I am sure we will have some adjusting to do, but the hot weather sounds amazing!

The NM fiber trail is fantastic!
    http://www.nmfiberarts.org/

We are also scouting out areas. One of my tactics since we have a few years is to check the temperature every week or so at the places we are considering. I am growing very intolerant of the heat where we live now and hope to find a more seasonable place to grow old. Yesterday at 5:30p the temp in Las Cruces was 87. I would imagine a lot higher as summer comes on but maybe that sounds good when you come from the NE. My bil plans to retire in the Cruces area. Maybe it isn't important to some, but I would want to be in a place that has some energy and "culture". I don't want to watch the wallpaper peel. The retirement forum on www.city-data usually has a lot of info on various places retirees have moved to - regrets and all.

Yes, I love the forums on city data....I am scouring the boards related to NC, NM, AZ....Georgia has no taxes for retires! We will have to put that on the list just for that!

Las Cruces has a good farmer's market, my friend there is a beekeeper and makes honey for a living, there's a Quaker meeting there--I like these things and people often love Las Cruces. Deming is not like that, could be anywhere in the US is my impression--none of the great ambiance of NM. Right now one thing to think about moving to NM or AZ is the drought's in it's 3rd year and supposed to last 10 years, so wildfires are to be prepared for. Of course every part of the country now seems to have its own weather terrors now. That said, I live in Santa Fe and the mountains nearby and love all the nature and Indian presence.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Thread Information