Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing up the house

Fixing up the house

I'm always trying to make our house prettier and more organized. We got a new fence and I've been busy painting that. I'm now turning our semi-finished attic into a family room/guest room. We'd been using it as a playroom for dd, but she's getting rid of all the toys, we're putting in a couple of beds, painting - well, it needs a lot of work!

I've been inspired by a couple of sources. This book that I reviewed in the "what are you reading thread":
    "Downsizing your home with style : living well in a smaller space" by Lauri Ward. I'm not moving anywhere, but this book had lots of great tips for anyone who wants to live with less fuss. She is the author of "Use what you have decorating", another great book. I've been spring cleaning and generally fixing up the old homestead. Many practical ideas for making your home function well.

There is a website (blog?) called Little Blue Deer that has lots of inspiration pics/eye candy. I like that the stuff on the site is not perfect, it's not what you go shopping for - it's about creating a cool space.

Anyone else feeling inspired to create their dream home?

This is where Pinterest comes in for me

Sounds so cool, Gardenarian!!

A teeny part of me wishes that with our old house (the one we now rent), we had done a "pretend move." Like, packed and taken EVERYTHING out, and THEN decided what to sell/replace/place back in the house. But I don't know if we could have done it, because we already had an idea of what that space had been before, and I don't know if we could have overcome that.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Yes, Pinterest! Great for planning.
    I love the idea of a pretend move, but boy would that be a lot of work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I love the idea of a pretend move, but boy would that be a lot of work!
    Which is totally why we never did it!
    Kelli

I'm doing the same thing. Right now my focus is on the garden. I get inspired by the fairy tale cottages in Carmel. I love those front yard gardens. They are just breathtaking! I've been sitting on my front porch, knitting a cable knit vest. It's so peaceful out there with the hummingbirds, birdbath, mature trees, flowers in bloom, and my cottage's new salmon pink exterior. I feel like I'm in a patio cafe in Europe...

Wildflower
    We live in a small home, and I have been trying to create the English cottage fantasy I envision in my mind for the past 20 years. To me, a cozy little dwelling with lots of color and English cottage type decor, with a lovely garden is my idea of perfection on earth. I continually strive for this look in my decorating. It's been alot easier to accomplish since the kids are grown and gone. Along with them went alot of clutter, so it's been way easier to organize my home and decorate to my taste. DH appreciates my efforts as well.

Also are you aware of Apartment Therapy books?
    Kelli

I love apartment therapy for inspiration!

all of my house is decorated in pretty much all the same color scheme: chocolate brown with punches of red and yellow and blue. I often move around art pieces and decorations from room to room to make things feel new without actually buying anything new.

Love these threads for inspiration!!

Been "cottagifying" our little house since we got it. Darn, the property tax estimate came today and so after so much work, unless there is a windfall to keep us here long term, we will have to move. Now up to $7000 a yr

Thread Information