Thread: New Blog Name Needed

New Blog Name Needed

Not the simplest, calm inducing, money saving thing I have ever done...

but after months of back and forth, pay off the mortgage or move on to a home we want to be in permanently...DH and I have taken the plunge! We were the "winning" bidder on a bank owned home and I like to think we got a great deal. The second highest offer, a couple thousand below ours, was a teardown offer (so, they were interested in the land only, plus they would incur the cost to remove the house). I like to think we saved the house. It was built by an engineer and home builder back in the day and is a wonderful quality home, quirky, but gorgeous features...I am probably dreaming but I hope it had a semi-famous architect, but I will have to dig into that. The original owner (age 93) had a reverse mortgage and went into a nursing home recently...that is how it ended up owned by the bank. The loan officer thinks the house will appraise at our final cost after renovations right now...which brings us to the issue...lots of work, money, and elbow grease needed to get things livable and comfortable.

I guess I am ditching the Mortgage Burning Party blog, but I'd like to blog about the restoration/renovation journey and I am coming up with a loss for names. The house was built in 1961, mid century modern style. Everything is original, kind of a time capsule house. We're going to update some things (wiring, kitchen, etc) but try to be true to the style. The back of the house is all glass so my friend has taken to calling it "the solarium" - I was trying to do something with that, and couldn't come up with anything.

Any ideas? Some folks here are much more creative than I am!

What about something like:

Retro-Active -- Returning a Classic to Its Mid-Century Glory, One Project at a Time
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

I really like lhamo's idea!

I LOVE it!!!! It is perfect! Thanks lhamo, I will most definitely credit you in my first post

I like that name too. As an older person who grew up in what is now called a mid-century modern house, I am curious why that style seems to be so popular especially with younger folks. Houses all over my hood are being re-styled to their original 50s look but with some very modern updates. Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I like that name too. As an older person who grew up in what is now called a mid-century modern house, I am curious why that style seems to be so popular especially with younger folks. Houses all over my hood are being re-styled to their original 50s look but with some very modern updates. Just curious...
    The Madman effect? (though mid-century modern was hip in many places before Madman started airing) Nostalgia? The need to make what is available seem cool?

I think in some ways the current era has echos of the 50s, with all the new tech developments really changing people's lives at a rapid pace. Whatever is old is new again.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    It does definitely seem to become more en vogue lately. About 12 years ago I started out on ebay selling vintage stuff, and then switched over to stuff from the salvage store because it sold better. With this house, I have been eying some vintage items and it is a totally different marketplace out there now. I know a lot of people reference Mad Men in their listings, but I have actually only seen one or two episodes.

I wasn't super particular about style. Right now we live in a house from the same era (built in 1958), but it is a ranch with rooms totally cut off from each other...I knew I wanted tall ceilings, openness, and a house with some character. We were mostly looking at older, craftsman style homes since that is what is closest to our offices. This one was actually in an area we weren't really considering because we thought it was out of our price range, but then this home came along.

I do think though, that whatever we do with the house should fit in with the style in which it was built. This is just a personal preference...but I have seen so many kitchen redos in the craftsman homes that just totally clash with how they were designed. It seems that people around here want to stick a french provincial kitchen in any home, bleh. We are considering cabinets from Ikea, which sounds like an adventure!

Solarium burn, the mortgage reboot. (found our final home, and it will take time to get it done, and back to burning the mortgage, like burning paper with a magnifying glass)

A bit long.

LOL toomuchstuff . . .
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Thread Information