Thread: Sad dog and cat diaries

Isn't it tragic what some family pets have to endure!!!???

I've got one downstairs who is bewildered that he's not allowed into the living room an more. That is, after peeing on the sofa or chair a dozen times.

12:05 a.m. My food dish is only half full.

01:22 a.m. Now I can see a kibble-sized portion of the bottom of the bowl.

01:23 a.m. I attempted to wake my human, but she refuses to budge. Perhaps her snoring covers my pathetic cries.

01:24 a.m. If I touch you, do you not move? If I gently insert a single claw, do you not awake? Alas. I am exhausted. To sleep, perchance to dream of the feast of fancy?

04:43 a.m. I dreamed that the bottom of my bowl was exposed. I woke. I checked. It was true.

04:44 a.m. I will sit here and breathe the breath of life into her. She will rouse and save me.

04:46 a.m. I am frozen in place with weakness. I am so close that we are practically one. I will stay here, hoping that the flutter of the fur escaping my body, as the rats abandon the ship, will open her eyes and I will be saved.

This or similar happens every single night. I top-off his bowl several times a day because he cannot bear to have even a tiny speck of the bowl showing. But, it bothers him, so he will move the food around until he can see the bottom. And, he is so dramatic about it. He will not yowl, but will sit and stare at me, sitting as close as possible. Nearly every morning he wakes me by snuggling up to my face and breathing on me. I refuse to get up any more because he kept moving the snug-breathing portion of the program earlier and earlier.

He has food anxiety and I think it started during our transitions last year, so I indulge him as much as I can. He is a really sweet and wonderful cat, aging and slowing down and, well, he can have anything he wants, except for waking me up all night. However, when he does, I speak for him, pretty much as I have written, so I find it comforting that other people have the same conversations with/for their pets.

It is interesting that I came across the dog one this morning. Never thought to look for a cat one.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Jilly, I wonder if you somehow took a photograph of kibble and put it into the bottom of the bowl, would he think it was real food, and not just a picture?

He sounds pretty clever and wouldn't be fooled, I bet.

That is a great idea. If I still had my kiln I would make some food dishes that have a kibble pattern in the bowl. Well, there the idea is; I hope someone with better resources runs with it.

He is clever and it is impossible to fool him for any reason. He is also dedicated to process, and needs to have nearly everything associated with bedtime done in the same order. I know this is because of last year, and how he and my other cat were neglected whilst I was in hiding. He is much more settled now, but those old fears are sometimes too difficult for cats to get over. That is why I indulge him. I really do 'speak' for him all the time, but he indulges me, too.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

I always speak for my pets too. Sometimes while riding my horse I crack myself up over the things "he" says. I need some human friends I think.

Did you know that free feeding a cat dry food throughout the day can contribute to urinary tract problems/blockages?

Yhanks! Yes, I have heard that. I used to be a vet tech. I observe CoolCat well, as all kinds of urinary issues can more easily become a condition for male cats.

Although, in CoolCat's circumstance, it can result in become slightly overweight. In addition to talking to him, I make him play like crazy.

Jilly, that is hysterical! Poor kitty...

Yeah, I know. Thank goodness he likes to play more than I do.

Thread Information