Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how often do you totally want to get rid of things/rearrange/purge

I love to clean out closets and cabinets and drawers and get rid of stuff. DH is much more a stuff keeper than I am which is annoying but we probably give balance to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My goal was never really to make money, it was to off load responsibly the things that had a bit of collecting value. So far I've made around $3,000 but the majority of that was the family silver. I kept two sets, I mean, how many sets of silver does one household need????!!!
    I think getting a good home for stuff makes it so much easier to part with it. I sold most of my household furnishings on Craigslist last year. It wasn't collectibles or antiques but it went to people that really wanted it. My grandmas table and chairs -- wobbly, needed refinishing, not that comfortable. I almost gave it away to get rid of it and a young woman who refinishes furniture in her garage bought it. I was so glad it will continue on out in the universe. I had some collectible teapots I'd paid a lot for but there is no market for them now. A mom came with three daughters who want to have annual tea parties with little friends. They loved the whimsical teapots and I think they will be well used. I had so many things that people took and were glad to have. So much easier to part with them than putting things in landfill or even goodwill (where they may put in landfill).

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmoss View Post
    Part of my feeling antsy living with only a fraction of my stuff out here (rest is in storage 2,000 miles away) is that I look around and see nothing that I want or need to purge. It is truly a strange feeling...
    This is me. I'm all purged out - well never had much to begin with - but miss the high I get from purging. Maybe I'll come purge your storage units for you. That would be fun :-) I wish my sister would let me purge her stuff.

Spartana, love it!

EEK! Making notes to double lock the storage units, just in case... Actually, I usually turn down all help when I'm working on sorting my stuff. Others try to insert something called cold logic into the process and it just confuses me. However, the habit of mentally going through my current stuff and making notes of what I need to get rid of is a difficult habit to turn loose of.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

I do my stuff and DS's stuff quarterly. DH has to be forced to do his. LOL

My brother just downsized from a huge 6 bedroom, 3 story house to a 2 bedroom ranch. He said he found he lived in 3 rooms and used very little so he packed a few boxes, some furniture and moved. A close friend also did a similiar move recently. I can't do that yet but it is my goal and I am constantly thinking of all that I have that I can live without and how few things I really want and use. Someday.......

Simpler at Fifty
    I get the urge to purge seasonally. Typically Spring and Fall. I do keep a bag/box going all year long and drop things off at the Thrift Store monthly.

For some reason, Spring seems to bring out the "decluttering" in us.

Embrace it!

As you go through your things, simply create a couple of piles: the Keep It pile, and the Outta Here pile.

The Keep It pile are the things you want to keep.

The Outta Here pile are things that you'll either take to a Goodwill, donate to family, friends, neighbors, or sell online.

Once done, you'll feel great!
    Ron Whitaker
    Blog: BoomerBazaar Blog
    "The Boomers' Marketplace"

Right now I've been in the "people will be visiting soon" decluttering mode! It's actually working better this time around than it has in the past - LOL. Have done two trips of 5 boxes + of donations to the thrift stores, just sold an antique dresser (very low price, but it is OUT of the house!), and we have put several items on the sidewalk out front, which have been taken within 24 hours. (We call it the "magic sidewalk" - lol). Tomorrow I'm hoping to hit my clothes again. Haven't lost any weight since the last time I declutter clothes, so it's probably time to get rid of more.

I really love it when I can get hit with the decluttering bug. :-)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information