Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Is it 1984 yet?

Whats next? Eyes in the sky?

Oh wait, that is already there. And will be increasing with more drones everyday.

My major issue with this type of surveillance is it invariably gets used to investigate and mitigate threats to the government (those running it), as opposed to protecting us. Basically the mindset that would classify legal protest as "low level terrorism".

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    My major issue with this type of surveillance is it invariably gets used to investigate and mitigate threats to the government (those running it), as opposed to protecting us. Basically the mindset that would classify legal protest as "low level terrorism".
    Yes.

A police state (if you can keep it) but *WHY* a police state?

I started making lists of all the possible reasons from

1) deliberate intent to crackdown on dissent
    to
    2) incompetence and corruption given all that government cash flow. (No evil intent just the infinite money pit that feeds on itself regardless of real need)

You could even throw in
    3) terrism But if all they're trying to prevent by surveilling the whole world is a boston bombing - the jokes on us - in this violent country *that* is the priority? And if terrism why the government secrecy, does anyone think this is actually secret to the terrists, why go so ballistic for a whistleblower revealing what the terrists (at least the organized ones) likely already know? And if terrism that doesn't rule out government money feeding on itself and expanding to fill the available space (so go to #2). And if terrism that doesn't rule out also cracking down on dissent even if it's not the main purpose - a police state by accident (so go to #1). See secret government with no checks and balances can be problematic.

I don't know why a police state. I am not the expert you are looking for. And outside experts are best, not as outside as me, cause I really don't know, but those in institutions have bias. The scariest theories are of intent - see Chris Hedges for intent based on eco-collapse (see his "Rise up or Die" piece if you want passion because wow reading stuff like that smolders and keeps on smoldering). And yes rising up (activism/protest) on a lot of issues makes sense. Though if the intents are that nefarious, heaven help us all. Oh I've a lot of respect for Hedges because he near single handedly took on NDAA and he's definitely got theories but that world view is *dark*. At any rate just surendering to the loss of more and more civil liberties without a peep is a bet I'd rather NOT take.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 6-16-13 at 2:24pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information