Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pulling back on charitable donations

As a postscript to this thread, I spoke with the charity to which I contribute the most and told them I wanted to trade some of my monthly donation for time worked. They were fine with that. So now I work a shift or two per month and that takes care of half my donation. Depending on how finances go, I could work it all. So thank you all for your viewpoints on the matter!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

New Info: Our Humane Society finally after more than 10 years got a spay neuter clinic going. They opened in a low income neighborhood and are starting slow. That with the low cost shot clinic gives a location on our east and west sides of town. The north and south sides are higher income locations.

Will be interesting seeing if these two groups can coordinate at all or if the bridges have been totally burned. Cooperation would be so good to see.

When I was working I gave money to a hodge-podge of several charities. Now that I am living on less and have had time to be more organized I've cut back in the total amount and focused on a smaller number. I could definitely "afford" to give more and am well behind the 10% tithing.

This is how I look at (or justify) it. 1. I now donate time as a volunteer. A rough estimate of my volunteer hours is around 250 hours a year which accounts for some of my charitable contributions. 2. I have updated my end of life plans to include fairly decent amounts going to charity. So in the event that I don't really need all my nest egg for living expenses, a couple of my favorite charities will benefit. That way I don't have to worry about being overly generous and risking outliving my savings.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thread Information