Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Housing situation with sister?

Could your sister transfer to a location acceptable to both of you?

http://taxes.about.com/od/taxplannin...e_sale_tax.htm

Read about the exception to the two year rule if you have to change jobs due change in work location. Of course, not sure how that affects your half of the sale. Didn't read it in detail or look for the IRS publication.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    Good advice on the two-year exclusion. You might be able to find a decent roommate to help defray the costs until you sell.

Sounds as though with your sister's work aspirations and potential relocation, that she shouldn't buy anything until she is better settled. Perhaps the same for you, unless you already have a place picked out where you'd like to settle down.
    What a great idea - getting a roommate myself. Preferably one who can pet sit too :-) . Hadn't thought of that.

I called her last night with some of the various ideas and I think that, for now, she will probably try to find a furnished rented room near work - she's looking at some this weekend and hopes to find something by the first - and we'll keep the house. I'll pay for all the utilities and basic maintenance and we'll continue to split prop taxes and insurance as well as any big housing expenses. She has tons of stuff - big things like 2 kayaks, 3 bikes, surfboards, paddleboards, wakeboards, snowboards,, 5 sets of snow skies and boots, dive stuff, climbing stuff, etc... - along with tons of other stuff (she's a bit of a packrat) so would have to get a big storage unit if we sold. So figure the cost to pay taxes and insurance would probably be the same as paying for a storage unit for her stuff. Also easiest way to go with minimal hassle. She can leave everything at the house and come home on weekends or whenever, and doesn't have to move anything or lock into a long term housing commitment. Then we can decide down the road when to sell. I would like to stay here longer but not permanently , and we never had plans to live together perm. She is in the process of transitioning from security officer to industrial security (keeping that chinease espionage threat at bay :-) )so will have a lot more options to accept jobs at her companies worldwide faci,cities so who knows where she'll end up living! As for the Barkinator, well I have a very nice bf who feeds and walks her while I'm gone but will probably look into getting a house/pet sitter.

Or maybe I can convince her to retire early - which is what she'd really like to do - and travel the world with me.:-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    omg how much long will Barkinator live???!!! .
    You still don't get it (she quotes from the Terminator). The Barkinator will find you and bark. It's what she does. It's ALL she does. She can't be bargained with or reasoned with. She doesn't know remorse or pity or fear. She will never die. She can not be killed. And she will absolutely never stop barking, EVER, until you give her treats. She will hunt you to the ends of the earth to bark at you. The...Barkenator...will...never....stop.....
    Last edited by Spartana; 9-4-13 at 2:34pm.

Just an update: Sis found a great studio apt/room rental - furnished, private ensuite bathroom, private entrance, private kitchenette, large private patio, all utilities, cable and wi-fi included for $640/month - right across the street from her work on the ground floor of a beautiful 4 bedroom townhouse (owned by an older, retired married couple). So she can walk to work rather than do the crazy commute - and she can still come "home" on her days off if she wants too. It VERY inexpensive for the area so we'll keep the house we own together for now and she'll keep all her crap...er...lovely belongings :-) there and sell it at some later date. Housing prices and rampant buying are going crazy around here again so am hoping it's not a bubble and will not burst like in 2007 before we decide to sell.

Yay! Sounds like a great deal for you and your sister.
    Does this mean you won't have to get a roommate?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Yay! Sounds like a great deal for you and your sister.
    Does this mean you won't have to get a roommate?
    No I won't get a roommate. Thought about it but decided against it since financially I/we don't need to do that because the house expenses are so low. I'll pay most house expenses and she'll still cover her share of prop taxes and insurance. Of course she won't be able to pet sit any more so I will have to take the dog with me or hire a pet sitter - the ex-bf did it this last trip but don't feel right asking him again now that be is an "ex" :-) - so will have to figure that out. Otherwise it's all good. Her new place even includes a maid! I think I'll switch wwith her.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Thanks! I have used www.petswelcome.com in the past to find places o stay with my dog but have never used a pet sitter ex kept for sis or bf. Looks like quite a few in my area on this site.

Thread Information