Thread: This July 4th is different for me, finally, after all these years.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

This July 4th is different for me, finally, after all these years.....

Today I realized something - that fact that it is July 4th does not make we want to crawl into bed all day or cringe or avoid people or even feel embarrassed. (For many years the date of 7/4 has had that effect on me). This year I am feeling better about living in the US and I never thought I'd ever say that but I do believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Just last night I was looking at the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System web page - Medicaid in Arizona - and sure enough, depending on my income for the rest of the year, I may or may not qualify for Medicaid January 1st, 2014, but many will if not me. Talk about progress and a huge bone to throw to the many struggling. Should I make over the threshold, I'm told there will be exchanges set up by the federal government with high levels of subsidies in my income group. I'm really grateful for that.....now I don't have to be so embarrassed. I'm also happy to report that in all the states Arizona borders except for Utah, and then up the entire West Coast are going ahead with the Medicaid expansion. (Utah is to date undecided).

I am also happy to report that there are now twelve states where same sex marriage is legal - and the District of Columbia, and of course we all know that DOMA was declared unconstitutional very recently. I still never thought I would see that happen! Not in my lifetime anyway.

This July 4th I actually see some real progress in basic human rights for the disenfranchised. Part of me isl like it sure took long enough.....the other part of me is middle aged and grateful to see these steps happen in my lifetime.

Happy July 4th to all. Rob

Happy to have you on board, Rob. Maybe you could set a goal of exceeding the Medicaid limit and experience your own, personal independence day!
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Maybe you could set a goal of exceeding the Medicaid limit and experience your own, personal independence day!
    What an awesome and ultimately empowering concept!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Rob, we are making progress--we stumble along, occasionally lurching forward, then staggering back like drunks--but the momentum is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Happy to have you on board, Rob. Maybe you could set a goal of exceeding the Medicaid limit and experience your own, personal independence day!
    I think that given how this year has been going for me I'm going to qualify, unfortunately. Maybe that can be a goal for 2014 though.....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Rob, we are making progress--we stumble along, occasionally lurching forward, then staggering back like drunks--but the momentum is there.
    I agree. I am for the one of the first times ever in my adult life seeing some major positive momentum. I can think of so many waiter and waitress friends I have who have been cut down to part time and can't qualify for Medicaid currently in Arizona that live in constant fear of America - by no means it not just me - such people are now smiling a little and biding time until Jan 1st, 2014, when their lives are worth the human dignity of insurance coverage via Medicaid. I'm not the only one who never thought they'd live to see that day of this constant 24/7 fear removed. Rob

Thread Information