Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want my own computer :(

I want my own computer :(

I am fighting a totally consumeristic desire lately - I want my own computer.

I do not need my very OWN computer. I share a laptop with my DH, and we each have iPads through work, and we each have iPhones! There is no way we are Internet-less, EVER!! There is absolutely no reason I need my own computer.

But I want to keep my computer perfect and just the way I WANT IT. And to never have to rush to finish something so that DH can use it, or whatever.

We are both old school and prefer the computer to the touch devices for most Internet-ing. We both really like having a keyboard, and it is easier to do some of what we do on the computer, although I am getting into some of my regular computer-y stuff (which could be a whole additional thread about timesucks) on the iPad.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Just get one. I read something about Windows 8.1 being out, and whilst it is a free download, it made me wonder if the computers that already have Windows 8 might be discounted somehow. Probably not, but you should still get your own computer if you want one.

I think that I am safe asking you this, hoping I do not get blasted to heck and back, but why should there be so much angst about buying something? Whether you need or just want something, if you can afford it, and you do whatever research you feel necessary, then you should be able to get whatever it is without having to go all guilt-ridden about it.

I totally understand about being frugal and using all of our resources to their best advantage, but I really do not understand all of the chatter about consumerism or being too spendy/consumery/unfrugal/unworthy when you want more than a roof over your head and food on the table. I feel weird and in complete wonderment when I read stuff like being too commercial or too much of a consumer or a wage slave or some darn thing.

I could be wrong, and most likely am because most everyone here seems to be nice people, but it also seems that people sometimes share things and are worried that they will be judged for some particular choice they are making. But, like I said, I could be wrong. Would not be the first time, or the last.

There absolutely is a reason for you to go out and buy a computer of your own, as it will make your life easier...and, you want and can afford it.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

I second that...I remember when a computer really was a huge expense, but those days are gone. And remember--you can't take it with you!

I understand the want, and I see some potential upside (back up to the other pc, any critical files), but I wonder if you could do something with Windows or Mac, that Linux has been capable of for a long time; Multiseat? Add some more memory, a USB keyboard and mouse, another video card and monitor, and two people use the CPU at the same time.

A couple of resources to understand the idea:
    http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multiseat
    Old article from around the first time I learned it wasn't just a remote desktop, multiuser machine
    http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration

I have always had my own computer. I agree with Jilly simple living isn't about deprivation. You have a want and if you can afford it budget wise why not. I think you would get it in a minute -- I sense you are feeling guilty?

I can't imagine sharing a computer for long periods of time. They really aren't that expensive anymore for low end machines. My laptop was @$300 in 2011-less than an iPad.

DH and I have had our own computers for years. Check out the Dell Outlet for great prices (with same warranty as built-to-order computers). We ordered new laptops last year and I think they were in the range of $380-400 -- less than we would pay over the course of a year for a SmartPhone (which we don't have), and less than the equipment cost of some tablets.

We bought a tablet when my husband became more computer literate. He still uses the main computer but it is generally my domain I need a keyboard. He's loving the voice part of the tablet- it works most of the time so he doesn't have to type anything in. I'd say get one if you want it.

If it makes you feel better about buying just one computer, we have 6 computers plus 3 small devices between the 2 of us. Yeah, it's crazy, but we use all but 1 of them.
    That's a shared computer in the living room, DH's gaming computer in his bedroom, my work computer (company owned) in my bedroom, my netbook that we use for portability and I use for my writing, DH's new laptop he takes to work, DH's old laptop (not used right now), my ipod, and DH's ipad and smartphone.
    We like our tech and can afford it. I try not to buy things I won't use, but other than that it's a free-for-all on tech purchases.
    I've had my own computer since I was 17 and I could never go back.

I have both a computer and tablet, and use both on a daily basis (not counting my computer at work). One other suggestion--I have a Bluetooth keyboard that I use when I am traveling to say a conference and using the iPad as my main device. Now granted, the tablets will not do everything the computer will, which could be an issue (although the gap is closing fast) but if it's just the keyboard issue that might address your problem for less money.

Thread Information