Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think you are?

Who do you think you are?

The new season of this excellent genealogy series starts Tuesday, July 23 at 9 on TLC.
    Last edited by iris lily; 7-15-13 at 10:34am.

Should be interesting. Related to that, does anyone know the efficacy of the DNA genealogy tests that are advertised? Supposedly they can break down your entire ethnicity - e.g., you're 25% French, 15% Italian, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Should be interesting. Related to that, does anyone know the efficacy of the DNA genealogy tests that are advertised? Supposedly they can break down your entire ethnicity - e.g., you're 25% French, 15% Italian, etc.
    I would guess that's it's accurate.

We had the test done on my father's side of the family hoping to match up with Scottish ancestors to figure out where our immigrant ancestor came from, he is a mystery. We've not had good matches, but have had some discussions with people that have some of our markers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I have heard an ad for "23 and me" on satellite radio. I could never quite figure out what the ad was for, unless it was for pointing out genetic mutations or something. Is this the advertising you're referring to?

Just a mountainview company that's wants all your (biological) data, what could possibly go wrong ...

Basically they do DNA testing for ancestry and disease susceptibility for $100, but I've raised the concern before on how private it would be kept ....
    Trees don't grow on money

I'm too old to worry about what somebody might do with my DNA, so I sent mine off to Ancestry.com. Imagine my surprise when I found out I was Scandinavian. Also, it appears my long-ago ancestor was adopted, so I'm not really a "member of the family."

23 and Me is legitimate; it was used on some genealogy program that escapes me*. I haven't signed up because I don't want to know what diseases I'm subject to...

ETA: *Finding Your Roots, PBS

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The new season of this excellent genealogy series starts Tuesday, July 23 at 9 on TLC.
    DH and I really really enjoyed this show when it was on network. It would be our Friday night ritual to have dinner in front of the tv watching this. The show is scouting our public library in town as a possible sight for an upcoming show.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm too old to worry about what somebody might do with my DNA, so I sent mine off to Ancestry.com. Imagine my surprise when I found out I was Scandinavian. Also, it appears my long-ago ancestor was adopted, so I'm not really a "member of the family."

23 and Me is legitimate; it was used on some genealogy program that escapes me*. I haven't signed up because I don't want to know what diseases I'm subject to...

ETA: *Finding Your Roots, PBS
    Ja? Velkommen to da club. OK that's probably not right but my grandparents were Swedish immigrants (Larsons of course like everyone else) and my Mom was a German immigrant so Know somewhat my heritage but find it all very fascinating.

I love this show as well. I wish there was a lottery so an ordinary (read "not rich") person could get the same valuable resources thrown at them. I've done genealogy on all of my roots -Polish, Irish and Swedish and want to go to all 3 countries just to walk the roads etc. My niece died recently and I ask her out loud to find out where one line of my family is from in Ireland. I figure someday one of the ancient ancestors will give me a clue!

It's back! Check your local listings--Wednesday July 23 on TLC. Good stuff.

Thread Information