Thread: DVD screening parties/social activism

DVD screening parties/social activism

There are quite a few powerful DVDs on various topics (environment, agriculture, education, spirituality) that are released (generally at very low cost) to people who want to get together a group to view, discuss, and possibly take action on them.

I have been to a few DVD screenings and found them a fun and effective way to bring people together to discuss great issues. (In fact, the main reason I want to remodel my attic is to have a place to have similar gatherings.) I currently don't have a TV and am considering getting a projector that could hook up to a computer or DVD player.

Has anyone hosted a DVD screening?
    Have you attended one?
    Any suggestions on videos that would be appropriate?
    What do you think of the whole idea in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post

Has anyone hosted a DVD screening?
    Yes. FRESH, the movie. My wife and I funded and hosted two screenings, one at a local church (not ours... I'm atheist, but the pastor is a fellow local food advocate, so he agreed to provide the site) and one at the public library. Cost us a couple hundred dollars for the screening license, but the host sites provided equipment, chairs, and some of the food. We provided some of our own farm-grown turkey, to show people what a real turkey tastes like.

We also got lucky. Joel Salatin is one of the stars of the film, and we just happened to have a recent apprentice (and friend of mine) living in our area. He agreed to come and do a question and answer period about his experience at Polyface Farm after the screening. He is a natural speaker and was a total hit. We had an excellent turnout at both screenings.

One of the most worthwhile things we have done in recent years. I highly recommend it.

Suggestions for videos? Well, what's your passion? Mine is local agriculture, so this was a natural for me.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Wow, Storyteller, that's wonderful! It sounds like a complete success all around. I bet people really appreciated the turkey.

I'm planning on doing things on a smaller scale, but who knows how it will grow?

I'm also interested in permaculture/agriculture; in fact the first screening I went to was on permaculture in Cuba - fascinating.
    I would also like to have discussions about fracking, the water situation in California, women's rights around the world, sustainable building, community gardening/food sharing - this list goes on. I'd like to include teens in the group as well.

I think this format of engagement - first watching a video, then discussing it - provides a really comfortable atmosphere for people to relax, get to know one another, and come together on thinking of "what can we do to help?"

I feel that community is important, but as a naturally shy person it is difficult for me to get on the local bulletin board and air my views/call for action. I'm hoping that this will be a way for me to effect some change, while not putting people off - instead, actually creating bonds and maybe making some friends.

I think it's a great idea but you'll probably need to be aware of your audiences political views and social leanings or discussion styles in order not to have that relaxed discussion afterwards turn into an argument or fight.

Gardenarian, we do quite a few of those locally and it's always a good crowd. Our most recent one was Dirt: The Movie. Another fantastic turnout and reaction was Happy. Really nice little film, and everyone loved it.

Smaller, politically-oriented groups hold screenings of more right/left things like Michael Moore movies or Enron:The Smartest Guys in the Room et al. But I am not terribly interested in more divisiveness so I stick to the ones that have broad support in my community.

Gardenarian - send you a private message
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    I think it's a great idea but you'll probably need to be aware of your audiences political views and social leanings or discussion styles in order not to have that relaxed discussion afterwards turn into an argument or fight.
    I also screen docs for the library, many of them with controversial topics. My experience is people don't tend to show up for a film if they disagree with its premise, so films tend to draw like-minded folk.

With lots of conventional ag going on in our area, there are plenty of people who would take issue with FRESH. They apparently decided not to come to the screenings, based on the question-answer period afterword.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    I also screen docs for the library, many of them with controversial topics. My experience is people don't tend to show up for a film if they disagree with its premise, so films tend to draw like-minded folk.

With lots of conventional ag going on in our area, there are plenty of people who would take issue with FRESH. They apparently decided not to come to the screenings, based on the question-answer period afterword.
    You,re probably right that most people will stay away from topics that they hold different views on. So I guess as long as the topic is made clear, then the host will get the people she/he wants to attend.

Another thing for the OP to try is to check out www.meetup.com in their area to see if something similar already exists - or to start a meet up themselves about their topics and host meet up events that way. Also other clubs - like the Sierra Club for instance - host monthly viewings and meetings about topics the OP is interested in so she might want to use a place like that to get attendees.

Thread Information