Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Cause of High Blood Pressure

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

One Cause of High Blood Pressure

Like me, you've probably read that some people with HBP are salt-sensitive and should reduce their sodium intake. But at the same time, one rarely reads that concurrently, we should greatly increase our intake of potassium-rich foods--like bananas, baked potatoes (with skin), dried apricots, beans, leafy greens, etc.

One article I read stated that HBP was virtually unknown among our early ancestors--and is still rare among those people today who consume a low-sodium diet.

Part of the article said:

"Our caveman forebears got around 11,000 mg of potassium daily and about 700 mg of sodium. Today, in the United States, that 11,000 mg has shrunk to 2,500 mg of potassium. Meanwhile, the sodium intake has increased from 700 mg to 4,000 mg."

And today, HBP is an epidemic--even among children.

I'm doing an experiment on myself to see if increasing my potassium, reducing sodium will lower my HBP. Supplements of potassium that are over the counter are pretty feeble--the highest only have 99mg of potassium. A prescription is required for more robust potassium supplements.

Reading labels finds sodium is high in many canned foods...hard to find items that are sodium-free or lightly salted.
    peaceful, easy feeling

Sodium is a problem for 25% of people with high blood pressure, I've read. People who eat variants of low carb typically need to eat more salt. But I do agree about potassium. I eat avocados and swill bone broth to make sure I get enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post

Reading labels finds sodium is high in many canned foods...hard to find items that are sodium-free or lightly salted.
    Staying away from canned foods and eating fresh foods is the best. They need to salt canned stuff to preserve and replace some of the flavor that's lost in the processing of it. So if you can eat fresh spinach, potatoes, bananas, swiss chard, beet greens, clams, mushrooms, etc. you are FAR better off. To your point, I can't think of a hunter-gatherer that relied on his can-opener!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

OK the question is - how do they know that HBP wasn't common in our early ancestors? A neanderthal with a bp cuff ? :-). I eat a mostly raw foods vegan diet - probably very Neanderthal like - and I believe that keeps things like HBP in check.

Are there studies for HBP and potassium uptake? I'd have to figure out what my mostly vegetarian diet affords me in terms of potassium.

There's a wealth of information found here.

And yes, I already eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit, but have found high sodium amounts in canned beans, tomatoes and such...I rinse the beans to get rid of some salt, but that doesn't work for the tomatoes. Guess I should use dry beans, but that's a process to soak them and get them cooked to an edible state.

Just went to the grocery and stocked up on more bananas, avocados, and potatoes for baking. Bunches of spinach and green leaf lettuce and zucchini. A trip to the health food store will get me dried apricots.
    peaceful, easy feeling

Use a slow cooker for the dried beans. Works with dried lentils and such as well. Or, you can use a modern pressure cooker if you want to get fancy. Cheaper and healthier than canned.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

I don't have HBP, but I can really feel the difference when I eat salty food. I feel dessicated from head to toe - even my eyes feel dry. I find it difficult to drink enough water to compensate for a salty meal or snack. Salt adds flavor - well, saltiness - but I'm better off without it.

Before I switched my diet to being about 80% fruits and vegetables, I would notice this after having a particularly salty restaurant meal. I had chronic dry eyes and had to put lotion in them 1-2 times nightly. Now I still use eye drops at night, intermittently, but generally feel a lot better - unless I eat some chips & salsa or something really salted at a restaurant. Ordering salads, my favorite most of the time anyway, helps - as long as the dressing is on the side.

Thank you for bringing this up. A few years back I was on a very low carb diet and was starting to have issues with high blood pressure and constipation. When I had some lab tests done, my potassium was very low. After looking at the low carb diet in general, I could see I wasn’t eating many high potassium foods and was getting a ton of salt in foods like frozen chicken, sausage, etc.

So, first I became very conscious of salt in my diet and ditched it as much as possible. But that didn’t really help, just kind of felt dehydrated. Then I decided to pump up the potassium with some low-sodium vegetable juice and avocadoes. Boy, that was like magic in that blood pressure came down and I felt sooo relaxed.

Because of the benefit, I really started watching the sodium content and upping dietary potassium. For the most part if you stay away from the processed stuff (cans,condiments, frozen) and eat mostly real/fresh (fruit, vegetables, beans, potatoes) you’ll be okay. It’s pretty frightening to look at labels and see the sodium content in things like a simple can of soup.

There are also plenty of recipe sites out there for low sodium work arounds. I also got a lot of good information from a book called “The High Blood Pressure Solution” by Richard D.Moore, MD, PhD

I'm finding, more and more, how what we eat directly relates to our level of wellness...but still have to stay on guard to read labels and eat smartly and wisely. The more nutrient-rich whole foods I eat, the better are my mind and spirit.

Getting the results of my bi-annual blood panel gives me a road map of my body's chemical composition and direction to take to bolster areas and subtract from others.

Since going low-carb and eating more healthy fats, my blood lipids are quite marvelous. Now if I can get that pesky HBP down without medications, it will be great. Given my family's history of having HBP, maybe it's an impossibility, but I'll continue to try.

Being of emotional, hyper-active Hungarian stock doesn't help.
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thread Information