Thread: Panic after giving stuff away..............

Panic after giving stuff away..............

I've been doing pretty good recently, sending things off. But every once in a while, I seem to have to panic afterwards. I guess its that old separation anxiety I had alot of as a kid.

I seem to need to pick one thing that I've given away and have regrets. Its not that that one thing is that important either. I just have to panic about the act of giving stuff away. I don't know why I do it. Its uncomfortable and I don't like it.
    No amount of reasoning with myself helps either.

So.....I guess I'll just accept that this panic after giving something away is just going to happen and maybe I can learn to ignore it. Its very strange.

I had a touch of panic yesterday when I was looking through a thrift shop for wool sweaters to felt. Ran across a really pretty sweater (not wool)I'd 'donated' a few months ago. Was very tempted to buy it back and had to stand there reminding myself for about 3 minutes exactly why I'd donated it in the first place.
    I also recently got really mad remembering some vintage benches that I'd sold on Craigslist last year. I want them back!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Tomorrow I am meeting up with a doll collector who is going to buy my tiny sweet Baby Dear doll and I just may have some angst after she is gone. While yes it is true that I've kept her captive in the attic for 25 years, and before that I kept her in closets for 25 years, she is very special and sweet
    (though musty smelling.) Here is a photo of another, similar doll in the same outfit:

http://www.dollinfo.com/images/60misc/v12bdearfl.jpg

So.....I guess I'll just accept that this panic after giving something away is just going to happen and maybe I can learn to ignore it. Its very strange.
    I spent a couple months of last year getting rid of extra stuff (there is more to go but I seem to be taking a break). I took several carloads to goodwill, and it was not pleasant to leave all that 'good stuff' behind. I would not describe what I feel as panic, but rather regret.

I seem to want to dispose of things perfectly - that I only give away things I will never need or want again. Then just the other day I realized that would never be the case. I am not perfect and nor will the disposal process be perfect either. Having regrets simply will happen and I have to accept that. I don't try to ignore that since for me it makes it worse. But acceptance and experiencing it, and perhaps even resignation that it will/does happen lessens it for me.

Getting rid of things ....
    moo

I had a touch of panic yesterday when I was looking through a thrift shop for wool sweaters to felt. Ran across a really pretty sweater (not wool)I'd 'donated' a few months ago. Was very tempted to buy it back and had to stand there reminding myself for about 3 minutes exactly why I'd donated it in the first place.
    I feel for you - but you did the right thing.

I once sold an old teapot I had liked at a yard sale. About 2 years later I saw it at someone else's sale and did buy it back. (It was cheap.) I realized how silly that was and recently donated it to the thrift store. But it was not easy. But there is too much I want to keep so something has to go.

moo

I have had slight panic attacks after I have gotten overly aggressive shredding some financial stuff. I have NEVER had to go retreive anything out of those boxes I have saved - though there is always that fear, "I am sorry, but if you had your reciept we could have helped you! Ugh!

Now all my year receipts are down to one box per year - the big boxes that #10 envelopes come in. All neatly organized in the garage - one in one out theory.

We had a financial paper stuff problem for a long time. Then I insisted that we only keep 7 years of it (which is still alot). I was actually relieved when they quit letting us deduct sales tax, because that meant a few million more pieces of paper laying around all year!

When my daughter was little, she brought home a cute little paper bag made into a puppet that she'd made in school She never ever paid any attention to it. One day I got aggressive and got rid of alot of papers, and decided to throw that thing out. She got hysterical!! She sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. So I went out and bought all the fixin's for a new puppet doll paper bag........material, lace, etc., etc. I brought it home, and she never made anything out of it. hahaha For the most part, its the moment of separation that's the hardest for us. Then we can get on with our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    Tomorrow I am meeting up with a doll collector who is going to buy my tiny sweet Baby Dear doll and I just may have some angst after she is gone. While yes it is true that I've kept her captive in the attic for 25 years, and before that I kept her in closets for 25 years, she is very special and sweet
    (though musty smelling.) Here is a photo of another, similar doll in the same outfit:

http://www.dollinfo.com/images/60misc/v12bdearfl.jpg
    IrisLily, I had a Golden Book called Baby Dear! I think my mom bought it for me when I was about 2 1/2, waiting for my little brother to arrive. That would'v been 1962.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information