Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOLA in November

NOLA in November

I'm going to NOLA to visit a friend in early November for a long weekend. She lives in the Baton Rouge area and we're going to split our time between the two areas. I was planning on taking the City of New Orleans train from Chicago to NOLA, but I finally found decent airfare ($400 round trip non-stop on United). Southwest was about the same, but it wasn't worth it to me to drive all the way down to Midway, when I live a half-hour from O'Hare. Since I work close to the airport, I'm going to leave my car at the office and cab it to/from airport, which will save me a lot of money on parking.

We're going to visit the World War II museum, as well as doing a private history tour of NOLA she's done before with out of town guests and loved. She told me to do my "NOLA bucket list." I was there 17 years ago for a friend's wedding, but it was Labor Day weekend and so hot/humid, I spent most of my time in the hotel. I didn't see much as a result. I definitely want to see St. Louis Cathedral (I love old churches), do Cafe du Monde, and walk around the French Quarter - during the day.

I'm well aware NOLA has some iffy areas. My friend and her DH are both Louisiana natives and spend much time in NOLA, so it's not like I'm going to be wandering off on my own into the 9th Ward.

Any suggestions on what to see/do?

It's been years since I've been there, but IIRC there is a large above-ground cemetery near St. Louis' that is a rare find in most cities. Bourbon Street is a bit of a tourist trap, but if you leave everything valuable at home, it makes an interesting stop for half-an-hour while the party is going on. I don't know as I'd eat at any of the restaurants there; the more interesting NOLA restaurants don't seem to land in the French Quarter. The St. Charles streetcar is maybe not quite the attraction San Francisco's cable cars are, but if you'd ride a cable car in SF, you should ride the St. Charles line. But there should be plenty to see for a long weekend. Maybe save the sightseeing for the days and be back home by dark?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Voodoo queen Marie Laveau is buried in St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 if that should interest you at all!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Not sure if they're still doing it, but if so and if you want to grab a bite in a place with some history Commander's Palace used to have $.25 martinis at lunch! I know not everyone loves martinis, but it always made for some interesting people watching!
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I am from New Orleans (or N'awlins as we call it).

The Audubon Zoo has a variety of great attractions. The aquarium is not far from Jackson Square and the Riverwalk (and Cafe du Monde). There is also an IMAX theatre with the aquarium and you can just catch the movie if you like, They have different movies showing. One good one is "Hurricane on the Bayou" which shows the effects of Hurricane Katrina on our lovely state. Audubon also has a zoo and an insectarium. There is even a river cruise option for the zoo where you take a cruise to the zoo and then see the zoo.

If you are in the area of the Riverwalk, (right in the area of the St Charles cathedral and Jackson Square) they have a ferry that goes across the Mississippi (for cars and passengers). It is free for the passengers and my friends and I always enjoy hopping on it just to take the roundtrip across the river to see the sites and take pics. It's a nice chance to sit and enjoy the ride.

The cemeteries in New Orleans are a must. Quite gorgeous and so interesting. Our people are buried above ground since we are actually below sea level here. There a lot to see that is just seen by driving around and walking around the Quarter and Riverwalk area. There are street performers, artists, etc.. oh, and the French market with lots of different vendors selling all kinds of goods such as jewelry, New Orleans items, purses, clothes, oddities, etc. You just never know what you will find.
    BayouGirl
    For more of my thoughts on my simple life, check out http://michellerobert.hubpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    Voodoo queen Marie Laveau is buried in St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 if that should interest you at all!
    And the Marie Laveau House of Voodoo is still open on Bourbon Street.
    PICT0005.jpg
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I was stationed in NOLA when I was in the CG and it's a great place. City Park with it's museum is outside the city but a nice place to visit - as well as he Audobon Zoo area and Magazine street and Jackson Sq. The quarter is safe at night if you stay within the more tourist areas. There are also several old plantation houses near by as well as battle sites.

I've been to NOLA twice in late November and once in the spring. The people are friendly and the food is wonderful. Have (or share) an authentic muffaleta at the Central Grocery. I had an oyster po'boy sandwich for the first time there. I think I remember having brunch or lunch at the Court of Two Sisters. You might enjoy browsing in some of the high end antique stores--so many silver serving pieces at one, it was like a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I'm well aware NOLA has some iffy areas. My friend and her DH are both Louisiana natives and spend much time in NOLA, so it's not like I'm going to be wandering off on my own into the 9th Ward.

Any suggestions on what to see/do?
    Ha ha ha! My parents and I did this inadvertently years ago due to them being clueless. Definitely NOT recommended, though we didn't manage to get mugged, thank goodness. As for stuff to do, looks like you have some nice suggestions. If you drink coffee, definitely get a coffee at Café Du Monde since they brew it with chicory which is interesting. If you want to splurge on a really great meal, the Crepe Nanou is fantastic, but not cheap. I believe they only serve dinner. If your budget is not for fancy places, I found that most of the catfish dishes (fried, po'boys, sautéed, etc) in places in/around the French Quarter were really great, because the catfish really is fresher than other places I've had catfish, including Houston. If you and your friend like shellfish, finding a place where you get a big bucket of crawfish or crab plus corn and potatoes all boiled with Cajun seasoning where they dump it all on a table covered with newspaper is fun.
    I don't happen to know much about old churches in the area, but it would definitely be worth scouting some on the internet or from your friend since that's a particular fancy of yours. There should be plenty around, and interesting architecture/history. Enjoy!

We had a great time in NOLA in March 2012. When you are closer to the time you'll be there, you can listen online to radio wwoz or look at their webpage for information on local events.

We had a nice evening (though not terribly frugal) at Snug Harbor (jazz shows at 8 & 10). www.snugjazz.com

Sunday afternoons spring and fall there is jazz at Nickle-a-Dance, inconspicuous on Frenchman Street. (It gets hot in there.)

If you are interested in military museum exhibits, you might check out the Confederate Museum, 929 Camp St.

The food at The American Sector restaurant at the WWII Museum is good, but lunch for 2 (before tip) cost me $93.29 ...

Thread Information