Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoked out

We lived in Phoenix when a nearby mountain had a forest fire. The smoke lingered over the Phx valley for many days... it is very unpleasant. Hope they soon get the OR fires under control and that you can get some fresh air! Perhaps the wind will change and blow the smoke away?

That does sound really scary. I think that TMS was being a little spoofy about the actual phrasing of words but let it go it was meant kindly.

Be safe Tiam! We went through similar conditions in CO a few times. It sucks. The air purifier is a great idea, we had 3 of them that we moved from bedrooms at night to living areas during the day when it got really thick. The ones we used were called "Ionic Breeze" and were sold at Sharper Image. Not sure if they are still available since SI is out of business, but they worked great. I'm sure any unit you could find will be helpful. If you have central air you can get filters that are much finer than the standard fiberglass units. There may be some benefit to that, but it would probably still smell smoky...
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

When we had wildfires here in 1989 (FL) I had towels stuffed along all the cracks under the doors and windows and ran the HEPA air cleaner at its top speed. That did help quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    ???

Be safe Tiam.

I think that was just sardonic humor. I'm in no physical danger. Just ...cough....choking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    We lived in Phoenix when a nearby mountain had a forest fire. The smoke lingered over the Phx valley for many days... it is very unpleasant. Hope they soon get the OR fires under control and that you can get some fresh air! Perhaps the wind will change and blow the smoke away?

We have a funny little valley here. Last year (or the year before) the valley filled with smoke. There were no local fires. Where was the smoke coming from? Forest Fires in Siberia!!! A major inversion layer and lack of wind or rain makes it just sit here.

How ironic Tiam..........now it should say "Its the climate change, stupid!"

Are people wearing masks when they go out? They should be.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    How ironic Tiam..........now it should say "Its the climate change, stupid!"

Are people wearing masks when they go out? They should be.
    Some are. But to be honest, air purifiers, filters and masks are sold out.

Wow, that looks so extreme and dangerous (I just live in boring ol' Michigan)! Be careful; I can't imagine having to conduct your daily life in those conditions...

Thread Information