Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoked out

I tried wearing a particulate mask. It's like breathing through a heavy scarf. You start to feel like you're not getting any oxygen either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Some are. But to be honest, air purifiers, filters and masks are sold out.
    How about online, like Amazon?

All different kinds of masks! Nice group of girls. Are you in the pic, Tiam?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    All different kinds of masks! Nice group of girls. Are you in the pic, Tiam?
    No, actually I live about 30 miles south of this town. The town is closer to the fire, but my town has worse smoke and unhealthy air due to the nature of the fire. I just picked it because it illustrates pretty well, the issues. They are saying this is going to be months. Probably won't clear till late October. My exercise regime is all outside as I don't go to a gym or own exercise equipment. I haven't done anything or gone out to do more than water the lawn for a week. And looking forward to two months more of this. I was getting my blood pressure down, and hopefully increasing my good cholesterol, building endurance and feeling good. Now I don't know what to do. I did a bit of weights and bands inside. In fact I'm a bit sore! I confess I'm not good at sticking with indoor house exercise. And I have a very bad knee and need low impact exercise.

How frustrating it must be for you Tiam. And I hope the people in your area don't end up with some pulmonary problems because of the smoke.

Do you have an exercise bike? I tried using our exercise bike for my knees (very little meniscus left), and it caused me to have sciatica problems. I ended up buying a "Pedler", which is just pedals.
    I put it beside the bed and use it there, where the bed is very soft on my behind! It isn't really aerobic exercise, but its great for keeping your knees working better.
    How about some exercise videos to work with?

We lived in Medford at one time, but no fires then. Great area to live!

Have been through similar many times as well, so really sympathize with you all. DH fought fires every summer when he worked for the Forest Service and Park Service (tho firefighting wasn't his primary job; when there are fires, everyone who can or wants to, goes). Please keep the firefighters in your thoughts and prayers -- that's one heck of a scary job (as DH only told me after-the-fact; but I "knew" anyway) ... they put their lives on the line to save the forests ... and the urban interface. Always remember Smokey Bear -- my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    No, actually I live about 30 miles south of this town. The town is closer to the fire, but my town has worse smoke and unhealthy air due to the nature of the fire. I just picked it because it illustrates pretty well, the issues. They are saying this is going to be months. Probably won't clear till late October. My exercise regime is all outside as I don't go to a gym or own exercise equipment. I haven't done anything or gone out to do more than water the lawn for a week. And looking forward to two months more of this. I was getting my blood pressure down, and hopefully increasing my good cholesterol, building endurance and feeling good. Now I don't know what to do. I did a bit of weights and bands inside. In fact I'm a bit sore! I confess I'm not good at sticking with indoor house exercise. And I have a very bad knee and need low impact exercise.
    My indoor exercise had improved since I discovered YouTube. They have enough for something different every day. I like the seated ones, I can do them in between what I'm doing online, or during TV commercials.

To combat sensitivities the re-emereged big time from smoke from our fires this summer, I used a mask and got used to breathing with it on, went on a bland diet of lamb (first time in years), carrots, white rice, and yams, prescribed by my environmental illness doctor. For four days. Then all symptoms have gone except for burning tip of tongue if I eat anything remotely not bland. I would LOVE to know the brands of all the air purifiers you all like--I prefer less expensive and with a filter that doesn't cost $100 to replace every year (hopefully one I could wash myself).
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

My sympathies, Tiam! We've only had one bad smoky day this summer, so I have been very thankful. What worked last summer: shutting up the house, going to places that had A/C and filtration systems (work, movies, etc), making sure the car settings were for recirc and not outside air. If you have A/C, running that with a good filter may work. Evap coolers, obviously, exacerbate the problem. If there's an indoor pool anywhere, that may be an exercise option, if you can swing the entrance fee. Or maybe you can talk to some local gyms and see if they'll do a summer membership. As for the masks, they are probably not worth the $. Surgical masks are useless and N95s are designed to filter stuff like pet dander, not stuff in smoke. You would need a respirator (this according to DH who had to do firefighting training in the Navy). So, save your $ there. Some people try a damp bandanna around their face, which probably doesn't do a whole lot for the smoke but at least cools you off!
    We were lucky in that the wind usually blew the smoke away in the afternoon and early evening when we could do some stuff outside and open up the house, then it would wake me about 2am when the wind shifted and the swamp cooler started funneling the smoke in. I'm not sure what the wind patterns are where you are, though in a low valley and with smoke on more than one side, it sounds like you aren't getting a break. Sending rain thoughts your way!

Thread Information