Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoked out

We are blessed at the moment. There has been some relief. For weeks I stayed inside as the air quality readings read hazardous, and dangerous. Now we are at yellow which is moderate. We can see stars at night! The sun in the day! The actual sky! It's still smokey, but I'm able to get back on the bike and do some bike rides early in the days. I've still got a chesty cough and feel headachey and lethargic, but it's improving. The day I originated this OP the air was seriously as if you fireplace had back up into your house. Only it was the entire world. I'm crossing my fingers it won't get like that again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    We are blessed at the moment. There has been some relief. For weeks I stayed inside as the air quality readings read hazardous, and dangerous. Now we are at yellow which is moderate. We can see stars at night! The sun in the day! The actual sky! It's still smokey, but I'm able to get back on the bike and do some bike rides early in the days. I've still got a chesty cough and feel headachey and lethargic, but it's improving. The day I originated this OP the air was seriously as if you fireplace had back up into your house. Only it was the entire world. I'm crossing my fingers it won't get like that again!
    Tiam, this sounds so awful to experience. You are dealing with a serious situation but I don't have a good grasp on it as yet. John Mauldin had a reference to this issue in his weekly newsletter.

A quote:
    The New Normal — Some Expensive Consequences [by] one of the world's preeminent climatologists Evelyn Browning Gariss

Excerpted from The Browning Newsletter, August 2013, Vol. 38, No. 8

SUMMARY

From the Western wildfires to the Great Lakes, from insurance to transportation, real estate values, and fuel, the "New Normal" is having a major negative impact on certain sectors of the North American economy.

Long-term planning, using 20+ years of data, is biased towards climate conditions that no longer exist. If long-term planners look at 60-80 years of climate data, they should make different and better decisions.

Climate change is affecting the bottom line. The changes in two long-term trends are raising costs and cutting profits for a number of industries. As long as each bad year is accepted as a one-off, rather than the New Normal, these "unexpected" losses will continue.

• THE ATLANTIC – The waters in the Gulf Stream are flowing faster, carrying more hot tropical waters along US shores.

• THE PACIFIC – The Pacific has a 50-60 year cycle, called the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO), that shifts warmer waters through the Northern Pacific. Starting in 1999 and tipping in 2006, the PDO has shifted cooler waters to US shores. Although occasionally interrupted by a warm El Niño, this creates drier Western weather. [Figure 1]

History shows that both trends will last another 15 to 20 years. We are starting to see the impact of these changes.

Today as of 7.00 AM the air quality is at 79.(pollutant particulates) That's considered in the moderate zone. To be in the good or safe zone, it needs to be below 51. 79 isn't so bad, about the level of a mildly polluted city. Right now, though, by the air quality charts, our little neck of the woods is higher than most places except Central Los Angeles. It will probably rise as the day goes on. The good side is that it is no longer hazardous.

I'm so glad that this condition is improving for you, just wish it was to the point where your chest and lethargic feeling would heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    I'm so glad that this condition is improving for you, just wish it was to the point where your chest and lethargic feeling would heal.
    The good part is that unless you have a major asthma attack or something, the effects are generally short term. Firefighters get stuff like smokers do, but ordinary people who have to deal with a smoky summer generally recover fairly soon after the smoke goes away. Even at the Los Angeles level you're talking about, if you can see the visibility is pretty low (less than a mile) you're likely to have any of: cough, sore throat, headache, shortness of breath, maybe trouble sleeping. Basically feel like you're coming down with a cold all the time, which sucks. Sending rain thoughts your way!

Quote Originally Posted by RosieTR View Post
    The good part is that unless you have a major asthma attack or something, the effects are generally short term. Firefighters get stuff like smokers do, but ordinary people who have to deal with a smoky summer generally recover fairly soon after the smoke goes away. Even at the Los Angeles level you're talking about, if you can see the visibility is pretty low (less than a mile) you're likely to have any of: cough, sore throat, headache, shortness of breath, maybe trouble sleeping. Basically feel like you're coming down with a cold all the time, which sucks. Sending rain thoughts your way!
    That is really terrible for people having to live in those conditions. Yes, sending rain thoughts your way...

And once again. Night time temperature is near 90 degrees and we have this:

Sorry you are going through that again. The Canada fires earlier this summer, we saw the results down here in SW MO - hazy skies, red sun.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

rodeosweetheart
    Tiam, Lark, I have had wonderful results with this cheap one from Target, also available on Amazon, by Holmes:
    http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HEPA-To.../dp/B0000DK35C

I have extreme asthma and can actually sleep for more than 2 hours if this one is on.

Do upgrade to the most expensive filter, not the one it comes with--Target had them right there on the shelf and they are labeled for smoke.

Also bought ones for 39 dollars for the bedrooms.

We used to have a very expensive one from Sharper Image and this works as well or better, in my experience.

So sorry Tiam!!

Thread Information