Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cracked heals! ugh

cracked heals! ugh

Anyone have this issue? I know that my running doesn't help it. It seems like everything is fine - then ouch - I have cracks in my heals - some that will bleed. Very painful.

Any good home remedies for this?

I have bought a rasp thing and that helps, I put lotion on only to wipe it all off
    when I put on my sox

I have the same problem. Rasp and Bag Balm seem to help a bit.

Just goop them up good before going to bed and then wear socks. I think cotton socks might be the best. I don't have real troubles with my heels, but rather my fingers. I swear, some winter, they are just going to fall off!
    You might try using something like neosporin ointment or some other kind of antibiotic ointment. According to the commercial (if you can trust that), it heals cuts faster than just using a bandaid.
    Also, try to keep well hydrated.

Corn Huskers Lotion. Get it in the hand lotion section of the store. Not very expensive. REALLY works.

Find a 'cracked heels' ointment at your pharmacy. They are usually high in urea and really work.

Mrs-M
    The key thing to keeping dry cracked heals under control is regular filing and applying quality conditioner. If you have to let your feet sit (without socks) for a few minutes to absorb the conditioning/softening agent, then do so. My husband has problem feet (callous buildup) and files 2-3X's a week. (Couple of helpful vids I found for you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkMh5JaeFMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vni2d...eature=related

Dry them with a towel after bathing and rasping then spread on the vaseline/glycerin type of cream, cover with socks. Make sure that you wear slippers when not in shoes as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Hmmm - I never used to have these until I moved here to the Pacific NW. This is also the first house I've had with carpets. And I walk around barefoot inside the house most of the time. The heel issues are far worse in the winter.

I wonder if there's a bare foot/carpet/climate connection...

Well, isn't the Pacific NW more of a damp climate? Unfortunately I think it's more of an age thing. My husband , who never suffered from dry skin (just the opposite) is
    now suffering from dry heels. I, on the other hand, have always had dry skin. What I do is use liberal amounts of Vaseline at night, and put socks on. I may peel the socks off during the night but by then I've absorbed the Vaseline and won't mess the sheets. I mean really glob it on. Use Vaseline at night and lotion during the day. Vaseline also has a really nice cream in a tube that's not greasy. Actually the Vaseline treatment works for your hands too if you can stand wearing gloves at night. Or part of the night
    Try drinking more water. I know, I know, you've heard this. But really, if you consciously drink 8 glasses of water a day you will be amazed at the change in your skin. And, oddly enough, your sleep patterns. Go figure!

I understand there may be a fungal component to cracked feet. There are heel balms available with an anti-fungal agent plus urea.

Thread Information