Thread: Oh no, my husband's cooking

Oh no, my husband's cooking

I have to post this somewhere and I can't use Facebook, for the obvious reason.

Right now, my husband is cooking stir-fry. Apparently that involves having the kitchen sink running full out for the entire process. Eek! Luckily, we don't pay for water.

I'm hiding out, trying to keep my mouth shut. Never criticize your spouse when they are doing something, unless you want them to never do it again.

The deal is that he hardly ever cooks for the both of us. I cook for both of us and he cooks his own meat, or we make our own stuff. This is probably the third time in 5 years he's made stir fry. I have no idea if he'll de-stalk the kale, or how much of the celery leaves he is going to use. Will just have to wait and see. At least I have lots of frozen leftovers still.

This is why he is banned from using the kitchen when we start RVing.

At least he's trying and I don't have to cook this week. Though of course I feel vaguely guilty that I'm just hanging out while he's cooking, even though I do the same type of cooking almost every week.

O, I can feel your pain. My hubby (bless his heart) decided to take over kitchen clean up while I am working and in school. His idea of how, when and how much to clean is WAY different than mine. But, like you, I just keep quiet. At least he is trying to help out. I am sure he would feel the same way if I tried to do one of his usual chores, like change the oil filters on the car, to help him out. We haven't died of "Dirty Kitchen Disease" yet, so something is working.
    Mrs. Hermit

Oh hugs! Just the other day on a frugal site I've been a long time member at one of the ladies posted some comparison photos of her in the kitchen (nice, neat, bowls washed as used, food remains wrapped and put as way as finished, etc) and her husband cooking one of his rare meals (total disaster - every appliance out and plugged in, dirty bowls and food piled everywhere). It was funny but so true.
    The kicker is he usually "cleans up" after she cooks which because she is tidy as she goes involves only loading the plates they ate from in the dishwasher and wrapping the leftovers. They finished his meal and he said "why don't you clean up for me since I always clean up for you".....took her an hour.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Heh. In our house, it's the opposite. Shopping, cooking, cleanup is all mine. DW actually rather likes that.

I don't mind if DW makes the occasional meal (she can cook though she prefers a far more limited repertoire). But I'd just as soon she didn't "help" load the dishwasher or use up the last of <fill-in-the-blank> without putting it on the grocery list. I'll just offer to do whatever it is pre-emptively. Or fix it later (if I can).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

There is a waiting list for men like you Steve!

I seriously need to teach my men-children more about cooking/cleaning/shopping/laundry/etc so they can be a blessing to their wives instead of just one more child to clean up after.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    There is a waiting list for men like you Steve!

I seriously need to teach my men-children more about cooking/cleaning/shopping/laundry/etc so they can be a blessing to their wives instead of just one more child to clean up after.
    Thank you, Float On! That ability was not as highly regarded as some others when I was much younger. Time has a great way of evening things out...

My mom insisted that every one of us kids know how to maintain a household by ourselves by the time we left for college. She wouldn't put up with it as a mother; she didn't see any woman should put up with it as a wife. I've never learned to sew or iron, though, mostly because she didn't like those chores, either.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My DH is a better cook than I, and I am the baker, foor rpeserver/canner, & yogurt maker of the household. Luckily, we're pretty balanced in our kitchen use & work/clean agreements.

That said, what a blessing to have a gift of food from someone you love!

My DH is a great cook. 40 years ago I trained him with the clean-as-you-go method. It stuck!

DH is way better at the laundry than I am, thanks to the United States Navy. I'm not bad, but sure don't get the sheet corners tucked in just so. Not like my roommates in college cared, KWIM? I'm a far better cook but considering where DH came from he's come a long way. His dad couldn't make edible mac and cheese from a box. It was even bad enough the dog wouldn't eat it. His mom's food is vaguely edible, but usually consists of things from cans and packages, made according to the can recipe or box directions. If there's a recipe or clear, explicit directions then DH does fine. He's probably less messy in the kitchen than I am, in fact.
    I do most of the yard work, which I enjoy and don't have allergies to.

Thread Information