Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: technology cocoons

technology cocoons

Although this essay was about travel, I found several of the comments very interesting - author Frank Bruni says within "...In theory the Internet, along with its kindred advances, should expand our horizons, speeding us to aesthetic and intellectual territories we haven’t charted before. Often it does.
    But at our instigation and with our assent, it also herds us into tribes of common thought and shared temperament, amplifying the timeless human tropism toward cliques. Cyberspace, like suburbia, has gated communities." Food for thought anyway at what we are becoming as technology zooms forward. I am thinking too about how we are all here due to an interest in simple living though we have different cultural points of view yet usually manage to get along.

The link didn't work for me.

Me, neither.

This Seattle Times link works, though.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

And so I read the article. Interesting exposition, though I'm not sure how much of this kind of thing was happening before and it was just less visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruni
    The helpful video-store clerk or bookstore owner has been replaced, refined, automated: We now have Netflix suggestions for what we should watch next, based on what we’ve watched before, and we’re given Amazon prods for purchasing novels that have been shown to please readers just like us. We’re profiled, then clustered accordingly.
    So on what criteria did the helpful video-store clerk or bookstore owner make his/her recommendation? He or she knew what you had rented/purchased before and suggested other works like it. Or did a quick assessment, choosing not to recommend "Sense & Sensibility" to the gaggle of 20-year-old male college students or "Die Hard <fill-in-the-number>" to a woman "of a certain age". To some extent, Netflix and Amazon do a better job because the recommendations are far more colorblind.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

To bypass NY Times subscription, you can just google Traveling Without Seeing by FRANK BRUNI to read in its entirety.

This has a greater impact than just keeping us within our cultural biases, it impacts our impromptu interaction with families, casual acquaintances etc.
    I love going on transit or standing in line and making a new acquaintance with no effort. The shared knowledge has been amazing to mutual benefit over the years - places to explore, news, ideas, resources in the community...

DD1 used to travel transit for a number of years so eventually a group started talking and then playing cards going to and fro on the hour-long ride. They discussed all kinds of issues in a supportive way and when she changed jobs and got married the group collected the funds to buy her and surprise her with a joint wedding gift. The sense of human interaction and community building is suffering as a result IMO.
    Now people on transit or in line, simply keep checking their smart phones and live in isolation or their own cliques.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Maybe it's just location, but when I've used transit in the past - before cell phones - people rode in isolation or their own cliques, or read books, magazines, or papers, so I don't think that's really such a new thing. Many of us keep ourselves to ourselves, for good or bad - just the way we are.

I'm hardly young (45) and have been riding transit to work for all of my adult life except the 5 years when I lived close enough to walk to work. Even 23 years ago when first doing so I wanted a barrier from everyone else. At that time I used a combination of walkman and reading material. Today I use iphone and reading material. It's not because I only want to interact with my "tribe". It's because I'm an introvert and don't want to have lots of casual interactions with random people.

There must be an awful lot of introverts out there.

Well transit isn't always an ideal place to socialize even if one actually was so inclined. Sometimes the trains are jam-packed. Want to socialize when packed in like sardines, standing room only? There's always some creepy types one is avoiding eye contact with as well (the person literally ranting to themselves on the train). But maybe you socialize if the time is right and the situation allows. Anyway, the minor imperfections of public transit is not why I usually drive - because it adds another hour to a commute that driving already takes two hours round trip is why I drive - and I don't feel proud of it.

An aweful lot of introverts out there? Nah I think the not wanting to socialize with total strangers in a subway is just kind of a cultural thing. Extroverts are supposedly the majority, but introverts aren't that rare (we're not that special of snowflakes ). The thing is society mostly encourages introverts to be more extroverted and not to exploit their introversion. By which I mean avoid all people always and do it to ever greater degrees - preferably NEVER leave the house - tell you can say you go weeks at a time without talking to anyone. Oh wait no that's not what I mean . Exploiting introversion - what I really mean is to really explore the inner world. Because if you're introverted enough you're already so inclined but probably never considered it an asset. Not necessarily toward fun and profit (having the things we are supposed to pursue), though it's possible some might come incidentally, but toward inner growth.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 9-12-13 at 1:38pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information