Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I was up to this morning

What I was up to this morning

That's interesting. How many hours of training are required before you get a permit for CC? Or do you already have that?

Iris, in IL, 16 hours are required. This is the most in the country. However, if you were in the military, have a hunter safety course, and some other training, you get grandfathered in for 8 hours. I took an NRA Basic Pistol class last year, which does count. Our instructors and their curriculum are just in the process of getting approved. Applications for carry permits won't be available until the beginning of the year. I'll be taking my class before the end of the year. Our class must include a live fire portion.

Today was actually the first time taking out my new pistol. I made contact with a local certified instructor, who also just happens to be in my industry. He was at the range with me today. The above target was my best today. Instructor told me I will have no problem at all with passing the live fire portion of the CCW class.

For those who might be wondering about my pistol itself: it's a Bersa Thunder .380. Made in Argentina. Very affordable (mine was $300 new). Great to shoot, very little recoil.

Finding ammo is a PITA. Due to the presidential election last fall, plus increasing consumer demand, it's difficult to find. I buy mine at Walmart (I check several stores near me) and Cabelas. I've stockpiled 800 rounds, which doesn't include the 100 rounds I shot today.

Tradd,
    I must have missed you discussing this before. Was there something that happened that made you decide about buying a gun and getting the training?

Lainey, this has been in progress for two years. I've got a bunch of female friends who shoot. They've been telling me for some years that I should try shooting, as I'd probably find it to be fun. It *is* fun. I took a lot of time doing reading and researching on various online forums. Early last year, I did a one-on-one with an instructor up in WI recommended by several friends. That was a good intro. Then I took my Basic Pistol class to have the "recognized" training. I've been out a couple of other times.

Once I received my raise in June, I decided to finally take the ownership plunge. IL finally passed a CCW bill in July, after pretty much being forced to do so by a federal court order (ban on carry outside the home was unconstitutional).

So, there doesn't have to have been an "incident."

Thanks, and I'm glad there was no personal safety incident that led to this decision. Sounds like you're having fun and being responsible at the same time.
    One of these years I may take the plunge, but I'm not there yet.

Tradd - one thought: for shooting for fun/practice, a simple .22LR pistol or rifle ends up being much much cheaper to shoot, and it's generally easier to find the ammunition - I usually recommend to most new shooters that they pick up something along that line, or a quality air pistol, eventually.

Bae, I was thinking about a .22LR. However, I *never* see .22LR ammo anywhere nowadays and haven't for months. I can find the .380 fairly easily at a number of local Walmart stores or Cabelas. My .380 will be my carry pistol, too.

Congrats Tradd. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I also have a .380 (Beretta) amongst others, and they are great. Perfect size for our dainty little hands :-) . I also have trouble finding ammo here in Caif - and target shooting is becoming too expensive for el cheap me - so I just shoot enough to keep my skills up. However, back in the day, I use to do a lot of tactical shooting, as well as the shoot/don't shoot videos, and that's a blast. You might see if there is somethng like that in your area as I think you'd both enjoy and benefit from that skill-wise. Certain,y makes you more confident and comfortable in more real-life type situations then target shooting at a range.

I'm impressed. There were coyotes in the backyard last night so I got the 10/22 (we have chickens) and went outside. My husband reminded me that I can only hit something if he shoots it first, it is dead and laying the ground and I am 12" from it. I have better success at getting them to leave by yelling and chasing them. I have a Beretta PX4 Storm that is fun but can't hit anything with that either. I think I need to do some target practice.
    Last edited by goldensmom; 10-10-13 at 11:16am.

Thread Information