Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite zucchini side dishes

Favorite zucchini side dishes

Do you have any favorite zucchini side dishes that are relatively quick and easy?

You'll never guess why I'm asking

Grill or roast zucchini. Add to everything (salads, burritos/tacos/enchiladas, chili, sandwiches, etc etc -- for some dishes you may want to chop it up finer. Since it's already cooked, add it at the end of the dish's cooking time.).
    Seriously, that's what I do. I always have multiple containers of prepped veggies in the fridge.

For a main dish, stuffed zucchini is very good.

Roasted halved, scooped out zucchini with EVOO, minced garlic, halved cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, torn fresh basil and a sprinkle of fresh grated Parmesan cheese. (Hint: Use a paring knife or vegetable peeler to create flat bottom, if the halved zucchini do not rest flat on baking sheet).

Yes, I second the zucchini stuffed. Someone made them for us once and called them zucchini boats. They cored out the middle after cutting it longway in half and made up a mixture to stuff it with. The mixture was cooked before stuffing and I believe they baked it with Parmesean cheese on top. It was delicious!

Now you have us! What is the event you are making this for???

Oh Christine, it's nothing that fun! Like a lot of people this time of year, I just have about a zillion zucchini ripening all at once, and am looking for ways to consume them all.

I hadn't even thought about stuffing them. The Moosewood recipe was always so good too for that.

My favorite use for zucchini is mock apple filling. I have fooled a lot of people who thought it was apple. Peel, slice and simmer with some lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon for about 10 minutes.

I've made the mock apple pie before... if you use yellow squash, peeling isn't necessary.

I love zucchini plain and simple (steamed w/butter). But I also use it sautéed in olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper and then browned in the convection oven. Last night I had leftover zucchini and leftover basmati rice, so DH threw them together in the frying pan, cooked them lightly and it made a delicious side dish.

Because my CSA box had ALL the ingredients for ratatouille (egglant, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, thyme, basil) I made that the other night and it was really delicious.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

With most of my summer squash and zucchini lately I've been frying it in small cubes with onions, garlic, tomatoes (with a bit of baking soda to reduce the acid) +/- kale or chard +/- corn kernels +/- beans or chickpeas. I usually let it soften up quite a lot, so the visual appeal isn't that great but the taste is.

Here in Lake Woebegon, the preferred preparation method at this time of year is to harvest and clean the zucchini, preheat the oven to 350 degreed, put the zucchini in a paper bag, and place the bag on a neighbor's doorstep while you cook a frozen entrée.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information