Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acid Reflux

Acid Reflux

I thought the heartburn would go away when I had my baby, but now that my daughter is two, I'm realizing it's acid reflux. As always with chronic health conditions, I'd rather treat them with a change in diet than medication.

Anybody have any experience/resources/advice to share?

A friend of mine had GERD that started with pregnancy. Her children are teenagers. She recently went on a grain-free diet, and among other problems, it has cleared up.

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    I thought the heartburn would go away when I had my baby, but now that my daughter is two, I'm realizing it's acid reflux. As always with chronic health conditions, I'd rather treat them with a change in diet than medication.

Anybody have any experience/resources/advice to share?
    What works for our family is limiting spicy foods, coffee, meat and grains, and eating more fruits and vegetables.

There seems to be something in cabbage and broccoli that neutralizes stomach acid. Bananas and potatoes work well, too.

You can buy pH paper on Amazon and see if you urine pH is too acid. The standard U.S. diet is pretty acid.

I think carbs can really make it happen/worsen it. I used to be on a GERD forum and this guy was on it and spoke of his theories. The name of his book is "Heartburn Cured: the Low Carb Miracle". I haven't read it, but I know that I have lots more GERD symptoms, the more carbs I eat.
    The supplement Slippery Elm can sometimes help.
    Don't lay down within 4 hours of eating, try to avoid caffeine and chocolate, and raise the head of your bed with those special lifters.
    Sometimes a small hiatal hernia can cause these symptoms.

Look for the book on reflux by Jorge Rodriguez. It has 10 or 12 minor lifestyle changes that are very helpful.
    Eat less at each meal.
    Only eat when you are really hungry.
    Don't fill your stomach with too much at any time, and that includes liquid. Drink less liquid with meals.
    Watch out for foods that create gas in your stomach. For me this means I have to cook cabbage-family vegetables longer than I used to, and I've also learned that I have minor lactose intolerance that does this. When I eat these foods, my stomach fills with gas almost immediately, putting pressure on that valve which is already rather weak, causing reflux.
    Don't eat anything after dinner, and don't drink a lot of liquid within a couple of hours before going to bed.

I have found that drinking coffee, even decaffinated and chocolate along with eating too much at bedtime will cause it. What I saw I think on the Dr. Oz show once, is to lay on your left side. I don't get it very severe so this helps. Good luck with this...Christine

PS I will look in my reference book "Prescriptions For Nutritional Healing" and see if there are any other remedies.

Going gluten free completely solved my reflux, along with a bunch of other health issues.

My DH is going through a bad bout of GERD as we speak (he has Barrett's), and I was looking up some relief for him in addition to the PPI he's on. I read that natural apple cider vinegar might help. That seems to be a panacea these days, so I don't know if it's just hype--anyone else know if it works?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My DH is going through a bad bout of GERD as we speak (he has Barrett's), and I was looking up some relief for him in addition to the PPI he's on. I read that natural apple cider vinegar might help. That seems to be a panacea these days, so I don't know if it's just hype--anyone else know if it works?
    I don't know if it helps with GERD, but drinking some with meals definitely helped with my gastroparesis-type symptoms. BUT.........I have IBS too, and when that vinegar hits the lower colon............LOOK OUT!!

I only get heartburn when I eat wheat.

A friend had very good results with Garden of Life's Acid Defense. She had to sleep sitting up until she tried the Acid Defense.

Thread Information