Thread: book about debt and frugality - Walden on Wheels

book about debt and frugality - Walden on Wheels

I am really enjoying this book about a young man who decides to eliminate his college debts with great discipline. He lives extremely frugally and even resorts to living in a van during his graduate education. I am struck by his wisdom at such a young age as he ponders the craziness of our consumerist, debt-ridden society. I recommend it. Funny too.

Went to read about this on Amazon, looks really great...

I remember reading articles about this fellow online as he was going through it. Will have to look for the book.

I'm traveling on business this week, so I got the book for my Kindle. It's great! I love books like this--Into the Wild, 12 x 12, Walden, The Man Who Quit Money etc. I was surprised at the fact that it's not really a "how to pay off your debt" book--in fact I'm more than half-way done and it's really been more of an adventure story.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I haven't read the book but I've been following his blog for years. I started reading it back when he was still a student at Duke living in the van in the parking lot. I believe the original blog was called The Spartan Student but I think it has now migrated to a new site http://www.kenilgunas.com. If you feel like reading it I highly recommend going to the earliest posts first since I enjoyed his contemporaneous writing about his student lifestyle much more than his recent stuff.

A very admirable young man.

I also remember reading something about this guy on one of the online magazines. He wanted an education so badly he lived in his van, cutting his expenses to the bare bones. The university should have given him a place to park and offered him a scholarship; instead, he spent his nights worrying about being rousted by the campus police. Shows you where the university's priorities lie.

I have just taken a look at the webpage. He is travelling in Europe at the moment and appears to have jsut spent some time in our neck of the woods.

I ordered this for the library where I work. Can't wait to read it!

Thread Information