Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat and Cognition in the Elderly

Fat and Cognition in the Elderly

I love finding these articles (you have to really look for them) that suggest that common wisdom has got it hopelessly wrong: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1016092154.htm

From the article:
    Those who reported the highest carbohydrate intake at the beginning of the study were 1.9 times likelier to develop mild cognitive impairment than those with the lowest intake of carbohydrates. Participants with the highest sugar intake were 1.5 times likelier to experience mild cognitive impairment than those with the lowest levels.

But those whose diets were highest in fat -- compared to the lowest -- were 42 percent less likely to face cognitive impairment, and those who had the highest intake of protein had a reduced risk of 21 percent.

Of course, this makes perfect sense when you consider the fatty makeup of the nervous system.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Of course, this makes perfect sense when you consider the fatty makeup of the nervous system.
    Well, Jane you'll love this anecdotal evidence. My mother was practically hysterical about avoiding fat in her later years and she was medically underweight for a while there, and she came down with Alzheimer's Disease.

But the fact that her auntie also got it probably indicates it is of family origin.

But me, I consume fats liberally. I also do not want to fall victim to the family curse of extreme osteoporosis and so I engage in extensive weight bearing exercise every day. Bearing my own (over)weight--that keeps the bone mass up! And then I really wish to die of one massive stroke well before the Alzheimer's, which I've managed to keep at bay due to fat consumption, kicks in.

Fat--it's a win/win/win!

I love finding these articles (you have to really look for them) that suggest that common wisdom has got it hopelessly wrong: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1016092154.htm

From the article:
    Those who reported the highest carbohydrate intake at the beginning of the study were 1.9 times likelier to develop mild cognitive impairment than those with the lowest intake of carbohydrates. Participants with the highest sugar intake were 1.5 times likelier to experience mild cognitive impairment than those with the lowest levels.

But those whose diets were highest in fat -- compared to the lowest -- were 42 percent less likely to face cognitive impairment, and those who had the highest intake of protein had a reduced risk of 21 percent.

I used to eat really low fat and vegetarian and had a ton of health issues. I switched to a higher fat, omnivore diet. I have more trouble keeping my weight down now, but even at a higher weight I actually have a lot less health issues than I did when I was a size 6.

I also have a family history of osteoporosis and I used to have the my bones tested every year or so, but I stopped since the test always came back better than average.

I'd say genes make you susceptible, but environment pulls the trigger. A lot of drugs lead to confusion and/or dementia, as well. Just say no.

I like your approach, Iris Lily--personally, I hope I just keel over like my grandmother did, or better yet--take a nap and don't wake up, like my aunt.

When I was 100% vegetarian, I used to find it amazing that I developed a liking for nuts of all kinds. My entire life I HATED nuts and would not eat them in any form. All of a sudden I was 46 and couldn't get enough nuts.

So I concluded that the change in my palate was due to my body reaching out for alternative proteins. But now that you mention this study, maybe it was a combination of protein and fat my body was craving.

I don't disagree with this article. But I still think it's important to get the "right" fats and the "right" carbohydrates. Grass-fed beef (which I do now eat on occasion--call me a mindful flexitarian) has far more Omega-3s than the grain-fed CAFO victims that most people eat.

I am starting to buy in a little bit to information about over-consumption of wheat/gluten intolerance. Again, back in the day, it took hours to make one loaf of bread, so you can be sure a typical family was not going from corn flakes to toast to donuts to sandwiches to cookies to dinner rolls all day long.

Interesting article.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks Jane for providing this information. I need to figure out how I can lose weight while still having some healthy fats, since I am leaning toward being a vegan. I have been a strict vegetarian for over 20 years. It hasn't stopped me from gaining weight....

Even weight watchers has a requirement for a teaspoon of certain fats per day to be in the food being eaten or added.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    Thanks Jane for providing this information. I need to figure out how I can lose weight while still having some healthy fats, since I am leaning toward being a vegan. I have been a strict vegetarian for over 20 years. It hasn't stopped me from gaining weight....
    I gained at least 40 pounds while being a vegetarian. I had no problem with the food, but I was always hungry. My body was trying to tell me (for six years!) that it wasn't the right plan for me. I'm a slow learner. I think I've finally got it right (for me), but I wouldn't hesitate to tweak my diet further if necessary. I only managed two months as a vegan--at that point, there was no denying my body.

ETA: My DNA tests revealed I've descended from countless generations in Northern and Northwestern Europe. I'm guessing my forebears were mostly hunters, with some foraging. Not many pineapple bushes in the tundra. Or grains. It makes sense for me to eat accordingly.

I gained at least 40 pounds while being a vegetarian. I had no problem with the food, but I was always hungry. My body was trying to tell me (for six years!) that it wasn't the right plan for me. I'm a slow learner. I think I've finally got it right (for me), but I wouldn't hesitate to tweak my diet further if necessary. I only managed two months as a vegan--at that point, there was no denying my body.

ETA: My DNA tests revealed I've descended from countless generations in Northern and Northwestern Europe. I'm guessing my forebears were mostly hunters, with some foraging. Not many pineapple bushes in the tundra. Or grains. It makes sense for me to eat accordingly.
    Hi Jane,

Interesting how all of us are different and our bodies need different things. That is great that you had DNA testing and can tell your heritage and it enables you to be healthier to know what to do. I once read a book, which I cannot recall the name right now, but the theory was that your blood type revealed the same thing as your DNA testing did. For my blood type, I can be a vegetarian. I did try to be vegan once before and I didn't feel too well. I just hate the thought of using animal products....chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    I've lost weight by reducing my carbs, especially refined carbs. So no more cereal for breakfast. Less milk substitutes that contain sugar. Less baked goods. Less sugar in my coffee. Even at meal times I've been doing less rice/corn (I'm gluten-free, too, so never wheat) and more beans/veggies. I still use olive oil, avocado, and nuts/seeds, to get those healthy fats. I didn't try to reduce my fat intake at all, really, and have lost 10 lbs over 2 months or so.

Thread Information