Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow..........expensive tires

Yeah but; so if they are not biodegradeable in a landfill, just where are they going to be biodegradable? Much, maybe most, of what goes into landfills does not break down due to biological processes, anyway. Uses for old tires have been explored, mainly by burning to recover the energy locked in them. But, they are still limited. They don't "compost" old tires, either. So, if you live where practical recycling alternatives are not readily available, then dispose of them using approximately the same method many of them are by approved tire-disposal companies. That is-- cut them up(going around the outer edge of the sidewall on both sides) with a good sharp utility knife, and dumpster them. This will cost you much less than a round trip to a tire shop & $3+ each.
    Last edited by Packy; 5-15-14 at 1:57am.

I've got the US tariff code open in front of me and new radial tires have a duty of 4% of the commercial value. However, from China, the duty is 25% - this is something temporary, but the tariff schedule doesn't say for how long. The higher duty is valid on tires from Japan, too.

I researched for days for tires on my 2012 sfe focus. The stock tires that came with it were about 35,000 mile tires. They helped with the great mpg I was getting 40-42 mpg. I needed 60,000 mile tires as I am driving so much. I also wanted good traction for snow driving. The Eco tires I wanted, I was advised "do you want 2-3 more mpg or do you want to go in the ditch?" Eco tires had less grip on the pavement bringing on the higher mpg. So I went with higher traction, around $800 out the door with the extras. I did drop mpg, now 20,000 miles later my mpg has gone up 1-2mpg as the tires wear. I learned more then I wanted about tires.
    Husband's toy car tires are on order now for $564 each,

I went to the U-Pull-it Wreckin' Yard today, and in blazing heat and smothering humidity, pulled a set of the renowned gt40p 5.0 heads off of a 97 Ford Explorer. The 5.0 in those was really beefed up to pull a 4500lb SUV. Should have gotten the whole engine, since it showed very little wear for its' age. It was a 50% off day, so they were about $50. I was rummaging through the yet-to-be-racked-and-priced tire pile, and found two very nice Kumho(Korea)205-65-r15's tires, which cost me $40 for the pair.. Tires were excluded from half price, unless they were still on the car.

Thread Information