Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I Don't Get It" thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    Well, I see this thread as very "me" specific. It's what *I* don't get. Doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with any of those things.
    Exactly. (but I agree with you on the junk food machines in hospitals and schools)

Re the HSN/QVC, I guess I just don't shop that way. It's not how my mind works. I would much rather shop on line and browse around for the specific features I want than just be courted by some pocketbook designer selling one bag. If I want a pocketbook, I just go to a store and quickly evaluate the options and buy one. On QVC there's just too much time touting one bundle of attributes. What if I don't want a large bag with a gold chain and a cell phone pocket on the outside? Am I going to sit there for 20 minutes and let them talk me into it? Heck, no. And I don't like having to listen to customers on the phone praising their own purchases either. If I want reviews, I'll go online and speed read.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

But then, I guess sports are sort of reality TV, aren't they? And I love football and boxing.

So, there you go.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

I don't get people who eat grocery store meat and then get down on the sport of hunting as being barbaric or unethical.

Yeah, QVC shopping is a big mystery to me.

I'll probably think of more. Fun topic
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I don't get rabid sports fans. The kind who threaten not to go to their child's wedding, because it is on a Saturday during football season.

Or, actually, football, unless you are playing it yourself. It's an expensive sport that costs lots of money. Every high school and college has to have a team, which costs tons of money and benefits whom? A few players and the people that make the money off them. Pick-up teams are fine, but otherwise?

Why people drink to get drunk and throw up. Seems a waste of money, especially with the hangover the following day.

I don't get parents who pack up their kids in the SUV and drive them to the street corner and wait for the school bus with them. (yes, that really happens in my neighborhood. And my neighborhood is neither the ghetto nor in the Arctic)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't get people who dislike cats and/or dogs. If you are allergic to them that's one thing, but people who just hate domesticated animals for no logical reason are a mystery to me.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Quote Originally Posted by cdttmm View Post
    I don't get people who dislike cats and/or dogs. If you are allergic to them that's one thing, but people who just hate domesticated animals for no logical reason are a mystery to me.
    Or those people who dislike cats because they are not dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I don't get people who eat grocery store meat and then get down on the sport of hunting as being barbaric or unethical.
    When, in fact, industrial animal farming is barbaric and unethical. At least the wild animals being hunted had decent lives, doing what they are supposed to do.

Adding to my list...
    People who own chickens and love them, but then buy their chicken from the grocery store, and are appalled at people like me who raise and butcher our own for food. That's just topsy turvy ethics.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellane View Post
    Or those people who dislike cats because they are not dogs.
    Or dogs because they aren't cats?

I don't get...

- people who don't believe in abortion but do believe in the death penalty.
    - people who know that light switches can be moved to switch on the lights, but don't seem to know that the same light switches can be moved to switch off the lights.
    - guys around here who will spend at least a grand and do the Tool Time grunt while buying a monster snowblower they'll need maybe 2-3 times each winter -- but won't spend a few hundred dollars on winter tires which will make their family outings (and the rest of us) safer every day each winter.
    - how it is possible to attend a large outdoor event in 2013 and not be able to find recycling receptacles for water bottles/organic waste/etc.

I'm sure there's more, but they'll occur to me later.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information