Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got off of Facebook, it's just no real!

Got off of Facebook, it's just no real!

I had enough of facebook. It started with my SIL, she kept posting pics of situations that revealed my in laws' disregard for my children and so I unfriended her. She got so angry and she insisted that I refriend her because she feels like I am throwing her away. That's when I realised I don't need to know her everyday business. She's younger than me so she lives her life on social media. I decided to just deactivate the account because I need to live my real life.Facebook is not real-it's virtual-it is sad how people take it too far. I am taking a break. Keep all those friends wondering.Time to start talking with real people , like at the store or walking on the way home. Chat in person with your neighbor and it's better to not know all our family's business like they are too tired to spend time with you but you see them doing fun things with others on facebook. Any similar situations?

I just heard today at lunch with a co-worker that his two teen daughters think Facebook is "lame." They like Snapchat, twitter, and Vine.
    So, maybe the day is coming when Facebook won't be cool enough to use anyway??

It's nice when it goes well but it's other people-I guess it's human nature to ruin things. That's OK I'm glad I am free of it.

FB is simply a tool. It isn't "not real", it is what it is. I chat with my neighbors in person AND get their FB updates. The don't carry their kids photos with them, but I see them online. My friends from high school & college, forty years ago & now thousands of miles away chat with me regularly, which is much more than what was happening before FB.

if it isn't a tool you prefer, definitely don't use it. There are those of us who do like it, use it, and appreciate it, and consider it just as real as everything else we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I just heard today at lunch with a co-worker that his two teen daughters think Facebook is "lame." They like Snapchat, twitter, and Vine.
    So, maybe the day is coming when Facebook won't be cool enough to use anyway??
    I've heard in varying places for a while now that the young folks have thought facebook is lame. I doubt that it'll go away anytime soon, but I can imagine the day when it's only popular with middle-aged and older people. After all, Mark Zuckerberg is pushing 30. How many teens/college age kids are going to be totally into something created by an old man like that?

Thankfully none of my close friends/relatives takes it so seriously that they'd be upset if I defriended them. But also I have no reason to defriend them, unlike Sylvia and her SIL. I've de-followed some people who's daily musings aren't interesting to me, but haven't had anyone's posts anger me in the way that Sylvia's SIL's did to her. For me facebook has been a nice way to at least be aware of what's going on in the lives of people from different periods of life that I care about. Seeing photos of high school friends' kids now in high school, etc is nice. Having little conversations with these people about stuff going on in our daily lives is also nice. Seeing those same high school friends act like assholes or posting political diatribes based off conspiracy theories would get old quickly and I'd probably de-follow them as well. Thankfully that hasn't happened. Either I did a surprisingly good job of picking friends when I was younger or the number of people facing facebook issues like Sylvia's isn't that huge.

Same here. What I get out of Facebook is at least as real as any fly-by conversation I have with my neighbors or (earlier) when I worked. It's not for everyone. It doesn't try to be. If you can do fine without it, by all means. But it does not diminish the goodness others derive from it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have an account, but no friends--basically just a newsfeed.

I have an account......just to keep up with family and 1 or 2 friends. It drives DH crazy. He just doesn't understand why people have to be so public and many times narcissistic. When I tell him what one of our relatives posted, his usually reply is "Who gives a #&#%!" haha I mostly post my nature stuff. I do find it weird when people are constantly posting pics of themselves.
    My DD occasionally gets off it, saying she gets too wrapped up in everyone else's lives. I think its great when she knows that.
    DS is on it, but hasn't posted anything in about a year. He's too busy.............which is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I have an account, but no friends--basically just a newsfeed.
    Similar situation. I have some friends but it seems like only a few show up in my newsfeed. FB can be good to get general info but I'm wondering too if it's a waste of time.

What concerns me is that the younger generation is really into posting every little detail of their lives... They have 500-1000 "friends", who read everything they write. And if they've chosen "public".....then the whole world can read it. Seems like just another way to express their narcissism. Plus........they are substituting this distant form of communication, for face-to-face or phone contact.

Thread Information