Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Got off of Facebook, it's just no real!

My 86 year old parents recommended this, and I love it.
    http://billmoyers.com/segment/sherry...lone-together/

The only time I have a barely smart phone is when I have to for work, you might catch me looking down at it, it's called staying employed

As for FB isn't it enough if you just hate that little zucker and everything he stands for? (privacy violations, job in/outsourcing). And yes the algorithm that shows and hides FB posts from you depending on whether or not it feels like it (noone has really been able to figure out why) is ridiculous.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Honestly, i like being able to keep in touch with people. When I was in NZ, i kept in touch with my US, Euro, and Israeli friends. Now I'm in the US, keeping up with my NZ/Aus, Euro and Israeli friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog Lin View Post
    Spartana: you're not alone. I miss out on things not being on Facebook.....but that's just fine and okay. Being online at all (email, forums such as this one) is about my limit on my loss of privacy.
    One thing I do miss is not getting photos or more regular e-mail updates from friends. I know some other's have posted they disliked the "me" centered focus of some people's fb pages but that's what I like to see. Back before fb people would send me photo updates of their adventures with short comments via e-mail . Now they do all that on their fb pages and, not having fb, I never see those photos. So I do miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Again with the chatting with strangers on trains meme. (not you KayLR, but Leonard Pitts). I'll say this again and maybe the universe will listen. I do not want to, nor have I ever wanted to, have conversations with strangers on trains and buses. For the love of god, please people, stop telling me that the world is coming to a sad end because there are lots of other people just like me out there who engage in other activities either because those activities are more interesting or because they specifically want to avoid having to talk to strangers on trains.
    A big one plus!! This is also my feeling about how other's tell me I must be online as well as on Facebook - I don't want to be because I'd rather "engage in other activities either because those activities are more interesting or I don't want to talk to strangers". Except you guys of course :-) :-)

I am reminded: my last high school class reunion in 2010 we of course took several group photos of the attendees. I emailed an old friend who I knew had taken some of the photos to email me one. She said sure, and promptly sent me a link to her FB account. I emailed her back and said I didn't have a FB account, couldn't she just email me one of the photos. She said oh, sorry, sure, here you go.....and sent me ANOTHER link to her FB account. She just couldn't get her head around the idea of someone not being able to access the photos, someone not being on FB.

I gave up on seeing them. No big deal, but that's what I meant when I said I miss out on some things by not being on FB.....

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Again with the chatting with strangers on trains meme. (not you KayLR, but Leonard Pitts). I'll say this again and maybe the universe will listen. I do not want to, nor have I ever wanted to, have conversations with strangers on trains and buses. For the love of god, please people, stop telling me that the world is coming to a sad end because there are lots of other people just like me out there who engage in other activities either because those activities are more interesting or because they specifically want to avoid having to talk to strangers on trains.
    THIS. A million times!

I've never had a FB account and like it that way:-)

I talk to strangers on trains, buses, in the grocery store, and so on... all the time! I love it, of course, being an extrovert. I rarely have the experience of someone not responding, but when they do, I respect the boundary.

FB is like this for me. I have many FB "friends" I've never met IRL, and may never meet. We have fun convos, I learn about their lives as they choose to share, and feel enriched. A few who I've sought out IRL after getting to know them on FB have been fabulous! Only one person turned out to be crazy, and I dealt with that easily.

I have a couple of friends from long ago and far away and FB's a way for us to stay in touch - years ago, we used to write one another real letters, and this is the new version, I guess. DH comes from a large family and we're a group, so that's a way for the family to post announcements and news. Organizations we're both involved in use it for communications. For all of those things, I like FB. I don't post a lot of the day-to-day stuff that people I'm "friends" with do, but sometimes it's fun to read -- the trick is to be aware of how much time you spend on it.

Thread Information